We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moab Day Plan - Your Critique & Some Questions?

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Moab Day Plan - Your Critique & Some Questions?

Here is a Google map of a Hike, Picnic, Wine Taste, Scenic Drive, Dine "day" around Moab:

http://tinyurl.com/Moab-Day

S Rimrock Rd is where our "home" rental is located.

7:30AM Devil's Garden trail to Dark Angel & Primitive loop. Skip Sand Dune Arch trail?

Head out for picnic. Where? Park at Negro Bill Canyon trailhead for hike to Morning Glory Arch

Wine tasting at Castle Creek winery. Buy bottle.

Continue Scenic Drive further out 128? Fisher Tower picnic area or continue to follow river? Or head to La Sal loop?

Return to South Moab via Castle Valley and La Sal Mountain loop road? Where is a nice forested place to stop with a vista to enjoy our wine and appetizers?

Stop at "home" and dine later at the Sunset Grill (recommend?) We are dining at Desert Bistro the evening before.

Thanks in advance!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,706 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moab Day Plan - Your Critique & Some Questions?

Pretty aggressive day but probably do-able. A few thoughts:

- Can't recall if there are picnic tables at the Negro Bill trailhead, but it might be a bit more attractive to picnic in Arches. Or, there are some campgrounds and picnic areas along the river near Negro Bill

- Negro Bill Canyon is great. It will be a couple hours or more to go all the way to Morning Glory and back. If you want a real adventure, you can also do a half-day rappelling trip and come in the other way. We use Cliffs and Canyons.

- The winery property is actually a good spot to enjoy your wine. I can't cite any specific vistas but there are many on the loop. Given your overall timeframe, I'm not sure if you really have time to go out to Fisher Towers and I would focus on the LaSal loop.

- Are you hitting Delicate Arch on this trip.

Have fun.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moab Day Plan - Your Critique & Some Questions?

Thanks T&C

I would be all over the rappelling but my outdoor life changed last Jan 17 when I had total shoulder replacement surgery. No more horseback riding or mountain biking either. Life in a slower lane!

Where in Arches would you recommend we picnic?

We have another "do-able" day before this one. I believe Delicate Arch Viewpoint at Sunset is our only option?

On May 24, how hot will the afternoon heat be? Almanac forecast is cooler than normal.

Here is our Arches Day Plan. Thoughts?

7:30AM in the visitor center. Peruse exhibits and pick up 9AM Fiery Furnace tour tickets. In route hike around Balanced Rock and the Windows area seeing Turret Arch along with North & South Window Arches.

After the tour head back to Moab for lunch at Moab Brewery (other recommendation?). Then visit Mill Creek North Fork to relax and swim.

At 3PM head out Potash Rd, 4 miles north of town and then 10 miles out Potash Rd to the Corona & Bow Tie Arch trailhead for 1.5 hour hike.

Back to Moab for our 6:30PM dinner at the Desert Bistro. For dessert take a bottle of champagne or wine to Upper Delicate Arch Viewpoint to toast the 8:30 sunset.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,706 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moab Day Plan - Your Critique & Some Questions?

Balanced Rock is more a get out and photograph than hike. Windows and Turret Arch are fantastic sunrise spots, as is the entire drive in. I would give that a thought. Here's a couple pix:

www.flickr.com/photos/tkellyphoto/3401072302/

www.flickr.com/photos/tkellyphoto/5989981073/

Moab Brewery is a good spot as is Potash Road. Evenings are always a tough choice as that time of year it's impossible to realistically do a sunset activity and have a nice dinner. You definitely can't do a 6:30 pm dinner and make it out to Delicate Arch viewpoint. And the view from the viewpoint is not great anyway. I would suggest you do one or the other. My advice is you can have a nice dinner anywhere, but there's only one Delicate Arch at sunset. See how late Desert Bistro serves. If you hustle, you can get back to town by 10. We usually just go to Hacienda after a DA hike.

Temps should be no issue at all that time of year.

Have fun.

Alberta
Level Contributor
47 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moab Day Plan - Your Critique & Some Questions?

Incredible shots, Tumbleweed!!

Granbury,TX
Level Contributor
76 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moab Day Plan - Your Critique & Some Questions?

There is a post on TA under the Desert Bistro website, that says it is now an office building!!!

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moab Day Plan - Your Critique & Some Questions?

Desert Bistro has moved.

Re-opening in their newest location, 36S 100W, on March 8.

desertbistro.com/Desert_Bistro/Welcome.html

Edited: 20 February 2012, 01:43
7. Re: Moab Day Plan - Your Critique & Some Questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2013, 14:50