We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moab to Capital Reef

6 posts
Moab to Capital Reef

I would love some comments thoughts on a scenic route from Moab area to Zion traveling through capital reef . I see a lot of comments about going up 70 and then down 24 but what about going down the 191 and catching the 95 up to the 24 that looks to be a bit more scenic road... what about pulling trailer?

6 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,464 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Moab to Capital Reef

The route going down 191 to 95 will add at least an hour to your drive, longer pulling a trailer. It is scenic. Pulling a trailer on that route wouldn't be too much of a problem. There will be some curves and turns on highway 95. But the road overall is a good paved two lane road.

utah
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Moab to Capital Reef

One reason the 70 to 24 route is often suggested is to stop to visit Goblin Valley and Little Wildhorse Canyon. Of course you could still visit these but it would add time to backtrack to them going the 191 route.

6 posts
3. Re: Moab to Capital Reef

Great thank you so much !!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,880 posts
449 reviews
4. Re: Moab to Capital Reef

Both routes have similar scenery. I would opt for the shorter route which also gives you easier opportunity to visit Goblin Valley and Little Wild Horse Canyon. The southern route you noted is two hours longer, so almost double the time. It's a wonderful route but worth the added time it would take you away from visiting a place like Goblin Valley.

Have fun.

6 posts
5. Re: Moab to Capital Reef

Thanks!! I will look that up!! Appreciate your response 😊

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Moab to Capital Reef

Personally I prefer the 95 to 24 route (if an extra hour isn't a problem) to include the best of Bears Ears NM and Natural Bridges NM and then driving near Lake Powell and the beautiful North Wash canyon!

There are easily accessible slots in that area called the Irish Canyons. Google for directions to Leprechaun and Blarney for more info.

You should have no problems pulling a trailer on this road. Be careful when pulling off road to see any sites though; the sand can be tough in places.

Have a great trip!

*Pixie*

Reply to: Moab to Capital Reef
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Moab
Recent Conversations