We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More time in Moab area, less in Sedona? Thoughts please.

Australia
Level Contributor
891 posts
41 reviews
More time in Moab area, less in Sedona? Thoughts please.

Arrive at PHX from Australia and depart from DEN 8 days later in October. (8 nights)

I am in 2 minds as whether or not to have 1 night in Sedona and 2 nights in Moab or bypass Sedona and add the extra night to Moab.

I am also staying at Phoenix, Page, MV, Glenwood Springs and Denver each for 1 night.

Have been reading quite a few threads (In the MV, Moab and Arches forums) about sights etc around the Moab area in general and am increasingly thinking that the extra night in Moab affords more time to see these attractions around the Moab area in general.

I would drive through Sedona on the way up to Page if I skipped the night there.

I realise that everybody likes to see different things but would appreciate reading other opinions.

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,375 posts
250 reviews
1. Re: More time in Moab area, less in Sedona? Thoughts please.

The truth is you’re shorting both places. You’ll barely get a taste of either with your current time allotment.

Australia
Level Contributor
891 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: More time in Moab area, less in Sedona? Thoughts please.

"The truth is you’re shorting both places. You’ll barely get a taste of either with your current time allotment."

Hence the question.....to allocate more time to one over the other?

Edited: 04 August 2018, 07:55
Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: More time in Moab area, less in Sedona? Thoughts please.

I would recommend Moab over Sedona, but I have a hard time understanding your choice of airports. You are going to spend a lot of unnecessary time driving rather than being. There is a full week's worth of unique places to visit and things to do in and around the Natl Parks in Moab (Arches and Canyonlands), but you won't have time do to 90% of them.

Arches - 1 full day minimum

Canyonlands & Dead Horse Point - 1/2 day minimum, 1 day best

Needles District of Canyonlands - 1 full day min. - best for long hikes so many people don't go

Jeep off roading

Mountain biking

Whitewater rafting or easy float trip - min. half day

Hikes outside the parks - another 2 - 3 days worth easy

There is much more.....

Can you maybe share your full itinerary? Maybe we can give some suggestions.

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
4. Re: More time in Moab area, less in Sedona? Thoughts please.

I live near Glenwood in Colorado and love it, but October can be dicey weather wise. Where utah especially moab will be perfect. That's where we head for an October weekend or 2. You could spend your life over there and not see it all. Is it possible to fly out of salt lake? Coming across 70 to denver is beautiful but it will be a rushed long drive and there are currently at least 4 construction projects going on that will make it longer.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,375 posts
250 reviews
5. Re: More time in Moab area, less in Sedona? Thoughts please.

You haven’t listed the Grand Canyon National Park on your Destination list. That’s the main reason to fly into a PHX. Page is a minor attraction in spite of the recent surge in popularity.

Fly into SLC and head straight to Moab. Give it at least 3 days. Add another at Monument Valley and then move on to CO.

Otherwise, drop CO and travel from a PHX to SLC. Bottom line is that 8 days isn’t really enough time forvall of the places you intend to go.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,138 posts
451 reviews
6. Re: More time in Moab area, less in Sedona? Thoughts please.

This is a bit of an unusual plan. Was there a particular reason you chose PHX as your gateway? As RedRox noted, SLC would be better. In any case, for sure skip Sedona and add a night in Moab. I would also think about skipping Page. Give Moab at least three or even four nights.

Have fun.

Australia
Level Contributor
891 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: More time in Moab area, less in Sedona? Thoughts please.

Thanks for the replies. Some interesting views.

"Jeep off roading

Mountain biking

Whitewater rafting or easy float trip - min. half day"

These hold no particular interest these days. (I spent some time in Montana around the Kalispell area many years ago and enjoyed river rafting up there in my younger days)

"but I have a hard time understanding your choice of airports" "There is much more....." - you are right, your country is vast like Australia but you have lots more great places in the middle - we've just got desert!

Fair enough - after Denver I'm flying to the East Coast of the US. I did think about SLC as an entry point but schedules and ticket prices meant I ended up arriving in PHX. Plus when I booked the air travel I wanted to visit Page and MV and I didn't want to backtrack - starting at Phoenix at least meant going in 1 direction.

"Coming across 70 to denver is beautiful but it will be a rushed long drive and there are currently at least 4 construction projects going on that will make it longer."

That's why I'm stopping overnight at Glenwood Springs. One of the main reasons was to drive over the Rockies and I did a bit of research re the weather - I am willing to take the risk (and accept any consequences)

"You haven’t listed the Grand Canyon National Park on your Destination list."

Stayed at GCNP last year and visited LV, Zion NP and Death Valley after the GC. After witnessing the magnificent landscapes on that trip, my interest was sparked for another visit this year to this general part of your country.

"Bottom line is that 8 days isn’t really enough time forvall of the places you intend to go."

Point taken. Maybe, maybe not. I like driving and the journey to me is just as pleasurable often as the destination. Plus when on holiday I enjoy being on the go, I'm an early riser - plus I can relax on the weekends when I'm at home in Australia.

"I would also think about skipping Page. Give Moab at least three or even four nights."

Got me thinking now. I could spend 4 nights at Moab if I dropped Sedona and Page. I already have cancellable reservations and the View have said they'll swap my dates around with no cancellation fee.

I appreciate all your points of view.

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
8. Re: More time in Moab area, less in Sedona? Thoughts please.

If you are going to denver then. After Glenwood take 82 to aspen then over independence pass if it is open when you are here. Then take 24 to leadville and rejoin 70 at minturn. Once you get to slivethorn hop off 70 again and take 6 over Loveland pass. That will give you some spectacular mountain scenery with adding some but not too much time to your drive.

Australia
Level Contributor
891 posts
41 reviews
9. Re: More time in Moab area, less in Sedona? Thoughts please.

"After Glenwood take 82 to aspen then over independence pass if it is open when you are here"

Yes, I had planned to go via Independence Pass weather/conditions permitting.

Will investigate Loveland Pass. Thanks.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 02:21
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,375 posts
250 reviews
10. Re: More time in Moab area, less in Sedona? Thoughts please.

I’d drop Sedona in favor of Moab. Weather is critical when Crossing the Rockies, Hopefully you’ll catch a gorgeous day.

Reply to: More time in Moab area, less in Sedona? Thoughts please.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted