We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bug problem in hotels

jfd
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
405 posts
734 reviews
bug problem in hotels

reading some reviews for Gonzo Inn and they seem to have a bug issue. They claim its in the town. has anyone experienced this in any other hotels recently?? I am thinking to change my reservation

7 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,875 posts
449 reviews
1. Re: bug problem in hotels

Probably stayed in Moab 50-60 times and never once had a bug problem, including Gonzo Inn. Others may have a different experience but never experienced it there.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,444 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: bug problem in hotels

I read through 4 pages of reviews on TA. Only two reviews mentioned a problem with bugs. I've stayed at the Gonzo on several occasions and would have no problem returning. That said, I can also recommend the Best Western Canyonlands.

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
157 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: bug problem in hotels

We also are planning a trip to Moab for September and have reservations for the Gonzo Inn. I called the Gonzo and they confirmed that yes they have been having a problem with bugs and are spraying the rooms daily . They said that by September the problem should not exist anymore due to temperature decline in the weather . I called another lodging property and they also said that the bugs are a problem in Moab it is some kind of a small beetle bug . I also am thinking about changing my reservations to a different property.

Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
60 posts
83 reviews
4. Re: bug problem in hotels

We stayed in Moab in July at both the seeping hill suites and Gonzo Inn. We did not have any bug problems at spring hill suites. They are more hotel style with interior doors and. Bugs don't easily fly in to your room. My kids thought there were a lot of dead bugs in the pool but those did not bother me although they were there. Inside of Spring hill suites was impeccably clean and we did not get bug warnings or see any bugs. We stayed at Gonzo after spring hill as we went to Mesa verde for a few days and wanted to stay in town some. We stayed at Gonzo and they gave us big warnings right away at check-in amd said everyone in town was having problems. We checked in anyway and had two rooms connect g on the first floor and by the pool. Coming home after dinner on our first night one room had about thirty bugs in the wall and the other room had none. I do t k ow why the difference. The hotel staff at night was indofferwnt and what I thought was odd was offered to vacuum. Well all the bugs were alive and on the wall so not sure the point of vacuuming. I went in and killed all the bugs easily as they really were slow movers. My kids wound up all poling in t either room anyway as there was soooo many all around the bed. These bugs really did not bother me or my husband much as they were small and do kit bite and kind of held. Still on the walls. We told the morning staff about the bugs and the first people we told really didn't care and just basically said yeah we have bugs. I spoke to another lady later I. The morning and she had our room wiped. Down with soap and cleaned. The next night's we had a few bugs not as many. Gonzo Inn is more. Motel style with doors that open out. I think it's hard to keep bugs out of rooms that open directly outdoors. I would stay at both hotels again. We really liked Gonzo but is not the most customer service oriented hotel. The breakfast is good, location excellent and its a good feel in the hotel. Spring hill suites is great for families with larger pools and extremely clean amd service oriented with the interior doors that I think are helpful if u are sensitive to bugs. I think park g can be difficult in town during busy time so Gonzo location is ideal for eating in town. We tried booking Gonzo for our April trip but it showed all booked up. So despite the bugs and kind of indifferent t staff to them they were still our first choice. They were showing as 100% booked so we tried the new Hyatt and have reservations there booked with interior doors and alcohol service onsite that spring hill does not have and we prefer. I would definitely stay at spring hill again though and recommend them.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,563 posts
267 reviews
5. Re: bug problem in hotels

Welcome to the elm seed bug - it's becoming a problem. Here's the info. https:/…elm-seed-bug

Thankfully it's not a bedbug or cockroach. They can emit a smell though.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: bug problem in hotels

I can verify that Utah is experiencing a big elm seed bug issue this year, and last (it was really bad last year, not so bad this year).

Again, this is a UTAH problem, not just Moab. I have them here too.

They aren't that terrible actually, other than when you brush them off things they stink (as Susie mentions). Even then it's just a brief issue.

Don't let them dissuade you from staying wherever you want!

*Pixie*

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,444 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: bug problem in hotels

We have those bugs in SLC too.

Reply to: bug problem in hotels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Moab