We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

importing my dog

ohgrl95
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
importing my dog

I am thinking about transferring to Saipan, with a paid move from my job. However, leaving me dog in quarantin for 60 days is really stressing me out. Is there anyway to get around that? Can i visit my dog in quarantin? Has anyone seen the conditions or wherever they keep them? It may be a deal breaker for me.

Mentioned in this post
Saipan
Saipan
Northern Mariana Islands, Mariana Islands
San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: importing my dog

I moved two cats out here for only a few hundred on Continental. $4000 is excessive. I've never heard of anyone paying more than a few hundred per animal.

The general rule when dealing with telephone people is that 8 out of 10 are going to classify this as an international destination. When they do, either hang up and call again or ask to speak to a manager.

Who told you that Continental only transports animals during certain times of year? That is not true. You should call Continental yourself rather than relying on a rumor.

But know that when you go through Continental that they will only take the dog to Guam. You will also need to call Freedom Air to take the dog from Guam to Saipan. Delta is the better choice if possible.

Mentioned in this post
Guam
Guam
Mariana Islands
Saipan
Saipan
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
108 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: importing my dog

I was just about to say, I'd talk to a Supervisor. This pretty much convinces me that my little cat should stay with her aunt.

Eugene, Oregon
10 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: importing my dog

The cost is 4,100. It is because they do it by weight of the dog and of the kennel. He is 80 lbs and 31 inches tall- so he has to fly in the giant crate.

Last two weeks they quoted me 760-900 for either the extra large or giant crate- but now they say it is 2, 700- 4,100 for either one. They said the earlier quotes were due to the rep. (all 3 on diff calls) were considering SAIPAN domestic - and that was an error. The horrid supervisor actually read me a script saying that she is sorry for the error but that she will do nothing to make a deal as quotes are not legally binding. Then she hung up on me. I was not being rude, but was sobbing and I guess it was awkward for her.

Now I have to give up my dog- I have already spent one thousand on his crate, visa, shots, health certificate and quarantine deposit - plus meds he will only need for there. It is all non-refundable.

Fly Continental. Never fly DELTA. After what they did, and how they handled the situation- I would not trust them in the future and suggest you find another way.

Mentioned in this post
Saipan
Saipan
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
108 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: importing my dog

Could your dog stay somewhere until you get a better deal? I really feel for you having to leave him behind. Are you going through Japan? Maybe that's where the International part comes in.

Mentioned in this post
Saipan, Mariana...
12 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: importing my dog

I just called continental. They are much cheaper. Freedom air too.. Freedom only flys pets on Friday- so time your flight. I am not sure how the transport in Guam would work though..

Mentioned in this post
Guam
Guam
Mariana Islands
San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: importing my dog

Why do you have to give up your dog? Why don't you just call Continental?

Moondance - Guam requires a private kennel to come pick your dog up if there is more than a 12 hour gap between the Continental and the Freedom Air flight. They will not release the dog to anyone else (because they have the same quarantine rules as Saipan).

Mentioned in this post
Guam
Guam
Mariana Islands
Saipan
Saipan
Saipan, Mariana...
12 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: importing my dog

How do you arrange this? What if you time it and there is less than a 12 hour gap? Basically continental wants $230 per dog then Freedom air only wants $55 plus .65 cents a lb. But I am confused how to get them from continental to Freedom air. This is ALOT cheaper than the delta option of flying cargo. I am not sure why so many people seem to think Delta is the way to go. Delta seems easy if you are not traveling in the summer months- then you can bring your dog as excess checked for $230. But in the summer they have to fly cargo and it is expensive.

San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: importing my dog

Hi Moondance,

From my experience, a trip through Guam will always necessitate using a kennel. This is just due to the odd flight arrival hour from Hawaii. Here is the kennel on Guam that handles this sort of thing:

www.harpervet.net

As for getting your dog from one plane to the other - that will be handled by the airlines. You won't be allowed to see your dog during this transfer period. Same thing goes for the arrival on Saipan; the dog will be taken off the freedom air plane by customs and then released only to the quarantine people.

Little tip: The customs office front door is just outside and slightly south of the commuter terminal. If you go by here after the dog is taken out of the freedom air plane they usually will let you in the back to see them.

Mentioned in this post
Guam
Guam
Mariana Islands
Saipan
Saipan
19. Re: importing my dog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2010, 12:48
Get answers to your questions about Saipan