We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

importing my dog

ohgrl95
3 posts
2 reviews
importing my dog

I am thinking about transferring to Saipan, with a paid move from my job. However, leaving me dog in quarantin for 60 days is really stressing me out. Is there anyway to get around that? Can i visit my dog in quarantin? Has anyone seen the conditions or wherever they keep them? It may be a deal breaker for me.

usa, oklahoma
6 posts
1. Re: importing my dog

Hi ohgrl,

Good question. In thinking of going to Saipan, my two dogs have been in my thoughts too. Can't wait to see your answer. If you have read many of the posts in this forum, there was one about dogs. There are two sides to all issues. It sounds as if they are preparing to get an animal shelter for care of stray dogs. That would be a good step.

Good Luck, Paul from Oklahoma

San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
2. Re: importing my dog

Hello,

I moved out to Saipan about 2 years ago and had to put my two cats in quarantine. You can shorten the quarantine to 30 days by agreeing to an at-home quarantine. This means that they will do 30 days there and then 60 days at your home (you have to agree not to let the dog off your lot for two months).

You can visit your dog everyday. They have visiting hours in the morning on weekends and all day during the week.

The conditions are are better than I was expecting before I got here. The quarantine is in a secured facility with several fences and gates. Each animal gets a very large caged area consisting of an outdoor area (about 4-5 feet wide by about 10-12 feet long) and a sleeping area (about 3 feet wide by 5 feet long). The dogs are taken out of their cages and walked in a fenced off dog run.

Please send me a message if you have anymore questions. I can get you the contact info for the gov. vet that handles the process and he can discuss it with you further.

I can also make recommendations for which airline to use. DO NOT use continental. Use Northwest. Northwest goes through Japan and then direct to Saipan. Continental stops in Guam and necessitates that your dog be boarded overnight at a local kennel. They are incredibly expensive (several hundred) because they have a monopoly there. We paid for the Guam kennel and when we saw our cats the next day at the airport it was obvious that they didn't even bother to clean out there carriers - they reeked like urine and feces. I suspect that they never even let them out of their carriers the entire time they were there. So go through Northwest if you can.

San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
3. Re: importing my dog

And as to the pet shelter - the process is stalled (from what I hear) due to a lack of available funds.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
108 posts
158 reviews
4. Re: importing my dog

I was wondering how the pets did on that extremely long flight myself. I know I don't enjoy the long haul down there.

San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
5. Re: importing my dog

Well, its obviously a long trip for them.

But do NOT sedate your animals. Most vets (and airlines) will warn you against this because it can be dangerous due to the conditions in the pets holding area in the airplane.

garapan
2 posts
6. Re: importing my dog

possible i can adopt a dog from paws?then where is the paws sipan?because my baby really likes dog

San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
7. Re: importing my dog

It is very easy to adopt an animal on Saipan. There are homeless and starving dogs everywhere - you will find one to adopt just by looking around. I have taken in a few of them and have found the rescued dogs to be extremely friendly and loyal.

Or you could contact PAWS directly and get a dog that has already been rescued and has recuperated.

Eugene, Oregon
10 posts
8. Re: importing my dog

hi-

I am about to leave for Saipan and have spoken with Delta 4 times about my dog and requirements, etc. and NOW they tell me it is an international flight (from the US) and so requires a higher international fee (making the flight for him 4000 dollars instead of 800). I just spent 750 on the paperwork, vet appt's, health clearance- etc. and can not pay 4000. It would defeat the purpose of moving for work if I could not afford to live.

Does anyone know of another carrier- I heard Continental does not fly them there this time of year and now Delta does the price switch on me at the last second! I need help- I LOVE my dog and my daughter and family would be distraught if we could not have him with us.

Thanks!

Saipan, Mariana...
12 posts
9. Re: importing my dog

$4000??? WHAT??? I have 2 dogs to move. For Cargo? That seems excessive.

Saipan, Mariana...
12 posts
10. Re: importing my dog

Just so you know I called Delta and from SFO for my two dogs (20 lbs each, each in a medium kennel) it was $1537. $4000 seems excessive. I would call back.

Get answers to your questions about Saipan