We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

culture mix in Saipan?

usa, oklahoma
6 posts
culture mix in Saipan?

I am a retired, single, white male from the USA. In my working life, I traveled the world extensively. Before settling into old age, I'd like to spend a year or two back in the beautiful ocean setting Saipan has to offer. Would I be a minority? Are there social gatherings for expats from the usa? Are there social events for older people? Would it be an awkward stay for a man like me?

San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
1. Re: culture mix in Saipan?

Hi Paul,

As a white person you would definitely be in the minority on Saipan. The majority of people here are either Chamorro, Carolinian or Philippino. But there are many, many social events where all of us expats will gather and socialize. There are tons of sports leagues at varied skill levels (I played on the soccer league as an absolute uncoordinated beginner and no one minded) including basketball, volleyball, soccer and bowling. There is the hash house harrier run if you enjoy jungle runs (or walks) past WWII wrecks and other hidden spots. There are a few expat bars (Godfather's is the one of choice for the older expats) and there is always a bbq or two going on.

Whether or not its an awkward stay will depend on your own personality. If you are outgoing or active, then you will find that the expat community (although relatively small) offers an abundance of opportunities to socialize and be active.

usa, oklahoma
6 posts
2. Re: culture mix in Saipan?

Thanks for your insight. I have worked in mulitnational corporations and respect other cultures/nationalities and get along fine with most everyone. It does sound like there are ample opportunities for meeting people. Now it is up to my own situation to decide whether to soak in the salt air again.

Thanks again,

Paul

3. Re: culture mix in Saipan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2010, 12:50
Get answers to your questions about Saipan