We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good places for senior citizens to visit

Philadelphia
1 post
Save Topic
Good places for senior citizens to visit

Hello San Fran-Know-It-Well,

I book a week trip to San Francisco in mid-July to take my elder parents for a visit. Any suggestions on where I should take to? Thank you for your wisdom : )

East-coaster,

Sunsette

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good places for senior citizens to visit

I'd say this, avoid Pier 39 on a weekend. A family with a senior in wheelchair was screamed at by a Pier 39 employee for not getting out of the way. Family was upset. Pier 39 is a tourist trap anyway. If you want to visit the crowded places, go before noon. Geno's or Pat's?

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good places for senior citizens to visit

You may want to hook up with one of the tours that are senior-friendly. Check: www.onthelevelsf.com/seniorguided.htm

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Good places for senior citizens to visit

I recommend Golden Gate Park and the Embarcadero (including the Ferry Building). The areas' flat, and there's a lot of public transportation options there, including free shuttles in GGP on the weekends. I'll name some more places when they pop into my head.

And plainjohn, I liked Pat's better than Genos when I went over there and tried them both out.

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Good places for senior citizens to visit

If they are interested in military history, I would recommend a trip to the SS Hornet, a World War II aircraft carrier, permanently docked in Alameda. My father served in the Navy during World War II so I was thoroughly fascinated with every aspect of this living museum.

Hyde St Pier and the Maritime Museum were also places my parents enjoyed visiting. Hyde St. Pier displays several historical ships that you can board.

San Francisco
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Good places for senior citizens to visit

The Ferry Building is the place to go. Yesterday, we took a cruise called the Ferry Building Line. It is a 90 minute cruise that departs from gate E and it offers a tour on Architecture, Natural History and Native American...great educational trip....go to their web page....Cheers,

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good places for senior citizens to visit

Zorro: That was a good tip. This is an specialty tour run by the Red & White Fleet people, longtime SF waterfront folks.

7. Re: Good places for senior citizens to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 20:45