We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ellis street (cova hotel) area safe at night?

South Africa
Level Contributor
122 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
ellis street (cova hotel) area safe at night?

I've read from several posters that the area that cova hotel is in (ellis street) isn't great because of the soup kitchens & homeless people.

But does that mean it isn't safe?

Can we walk to & from the hotel at night for example? Is there a high risk of getting mugged at night?

Or is everyone over exaggerating?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ellis street (cova hotel) area safe at night?

<<high risk of getting mugged at night?>>

I really can't answer that because it's an area I would never walk around in at night. In fact, the last time I drove through after a performance at the Golden Gate Theater, I wasn't comfortable stopped at red lights!

There are drug deals and prostitution going on in the open. I read in the paper not long ago that the area was favored for muggings and corner store robberies as there is close access to BART which provides an easy get-away.

The reviews on the Cova are all over the place but I came across one which indicated that the management was discounting rooms for a review on TA -- which is against TA guidelines.

Anyway, it's not a place I would stay -- both for the property and its location.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,471 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ellis street (cova hotel) area safe at night?

The vicinity is more seedy than dangerous.

Going to a restaurant in the area is OK. It wouldn't be a pleasant area to stay in, though.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ellis street (cova hotel) area safe at night?

We are in the city several times a year, staying in hotels. I would not stay here. It is an unpleasant neighborhood. Why get a bargain to be uncomfortable and uneasy in one of the most beautiful cities in the world?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,548 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ellis street (cova hotel) area safe at night?

I think it depends on how street smart you are - I've walked though that neighborhood at midnight without problems but then again I live here and know what to expect...

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ellis street (cova hotel) area safe at night?

Even if you have your street smarts, and are perfectly safe, it is not a pleasant neighborhood..

South Africa
Level Contributor
122 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ellis street (cova hotel) area safe at night?

Thanks to all for the replies, I'll check out other hotels.

7. Re: ellis street (cova hotel) area safe at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2013, 14:49