We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay pride festival/parade?

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
193 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Gay pride festival/parade?

It looks like it's this weekend when we'll be there with the family - mom (me), dad, 2 teens and a 5-year-old. Is this a fun event or " too much" for young eyes.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gay pride festival/parade?

Probably too much for a 5 year old

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gay pride festival/parade?

I just saw that Adam Lambert will be headlining a free concert in Golden Gate Park this weekend. He is an amazing singer with the best live performance of anyone I have ever seen. Soooo Jealous!

Aloha,

Nancy

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gay pride festival/parade?

Lots and lots of people take kids to the parade and festival every year. I really don't think the 5 year old will have any questions, and you can open a dialogue with your teens. We take the grandkids who are now 8 and 7 every year, and so after the parade we are in the children's play area at Civic Center for most of the rest of the day.

Edited: 20 June 2012, 07:40
NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gay pride festival/parade?

If you want a 5 year old to ask adult questions, go ahead and bring them there.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,562 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gay pride festival/parade?

There's a little bit of everything, but I've got to say that people pick out what they want to take away from an event like this. There are church groups, political groups, Macy's always has a big contingent as does Virgin America and Google. There are lots of cultural groups. The SF Cheer cheerleaders are always fun to see. The LGBT Freedom Band is good too.

On the negative side for some: you might see a pair of breasts during the dykes on bikes segment that opens the parade - kind of rare and they go by fast - and they're just breasts. And you may see a naked guy ride by on a bicycle - the Mikes on bikes follow the dykes on bikes contingent at the beginning of the parade. Sometimes you'll see a butt in chaps - and usually it's on someone you wish would be wearing pants. The "negative" stuff is like 1% of the whole thing though.

You should know that nudity isn't against the law in San Francisco, but lewd acts are. So it's possible to see some of this stuff just walking around town.

You can be the judge yourself, here's a link to youtube where you can see some of last years parade: www.youtube.com/topic/1yfhCEdIzrc/…

Frankly, I think the 5 year old would have a blast, and the teens probably will have fun too. It's a long parade, so you can always leave if you get bored. On the bright side - it's a long parade route, so you can usually find a place for a good view.

The celebrity grand marshall this year is Sarah Silverman (yawn) but she's sharing the honors with Dot Jones who plays Coach Beiste on Glee.

Full Pride information can be found here: http://www.sfpride.org/

This year's theme is "Global Equality" and was submitted by Bishop Christopher Senyonjo of Uganda and Rev. Canon Albert Ogle of San Diego. So that should tell you something.

Aside from the parade, there is the Pride Celebration at Civic Center. It's free, but you'll be asked for a $5 donation at one of the many entrances to help off-set the costs. If you donate you'll get a sticker that will get you $1 off beverages at some of the many booths inside.

If crowds are not your thing, you might consider checking out Civic Center on Saturday as it's less crowded, but they still have people making speeches and performing on the many stages.

Final thought - and I apologize for the length - while this is the LGBTQ Pride Parade, it's main purpose is to celebrate diversity in all it's forms. So while we might not be a strong supporter of some of the bits and pieces of the parade, we celebrate everyone who participates. It's kind of what San Francisco does during the rest of the year, only amplified. We enjoy our similarities and respect our differences.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,562 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gay pride festival/parade?

Sorry - wanted to add one more thing that is a great teaching moment. Keep your eyes peeled at Twin Peaks this weekend, the giant pink triangle will be unfurled early Saturday morning and will stay up all weekend.

Volunteers are always welcome to help set up: http://www.thepinktriangle.com/

Here's the information that makes for the great teaching moment: www.thepinktriangle.com/history/symbol.html

The pink triangle was used by the Nazis to label Gay prisoners, similar to the yellow ones that signified which prisoners were Jews. In the '80s it was reclaimed as a symbol of pride.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,639 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gay pride festival/parade?

What sfimporter said!

I've seen some of the parade the last couple of years (it lasts too long for me to watch the whole thing), and 99% of it is just standard parade stuff - marching bands, people on floats, politicians in cars, etc. Some of the floats feature scantily-clad folks dancing (like a Carnaval parade), but I've never noticed flat-out nudity.

Of course, I may not have paid attention, since there are folks that show up nude at almost any opportunity. After a while, it's just rather... boring.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
193 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gay pride festival/parade?

Thanks for the opinions. I think we'll check it out, if we're so inclined that day. FYI, we live in a diverse neighborhood and my older two have already gotten to experience an occasional drag queen at our next-door neighbor's picnics. I did already check out a couple of videos on youtube and it seemed fairly tame, with just an few "questionable" sights to be seen. I found the parade route in the link, thanks sfimporter. Any suggestions on where best to go to see it?

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
234 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gay pride festival/parade?

That all sounds so fun! Will any of these festivities carry over to the next week? We will be arriving Tues night (6/26).

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,240 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gay pride festival/parade?

...just a slight clarification to sfimporter's very informative post....

The yellow star worn by the Jews was not just for prisoners but for all Jews at the time, depending on the time of occupation. The downward pointing pink triangle was only worn by homosexuals in the camps as a way of segregating them from other prisoners. Those prisoners that were Jewish AND gay wore a combination star composed of a yellow and pink triangle.

I still have the yellow star my mom was forced to wear.

Dr. Z