We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on Mosquitoes

Northfield...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question on Mosquitoes

I will be in San Francisco 5 days beginning next week. I have not found anything in my reading on whether to expect many mosquitoes. Are mosquitoes much of a problem there this time of the year?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question on Mosquitoes

Usually mosquitoes are not a problem, and we are not swarmed by mosquitoes in the city, however they do exist in the wooded areas of the Presidio and GGNRA locations. If you are running early in the morning in those areas, just wear long sleeves. It's usually not warm early in the day and late at night. They're mostly found around the ponds in GG Park or around trash bins behind the restaurants. I have bad skin reactions to the mosquito bites, so your question is understood well. if you have some allergy, just have your medicine or calamine lotion can be found at Walgreens if you get bitten.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question on Mosquitoes

In general, I would say no...I'm very prone to mosquito bites, and I very rarely get bitten in the city. I think the colder temps keeps them away.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,523 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question on Mosquitoes

Good advice above. There are some out and about, but you can usually see them coming. Somewhere in my neighborhood there must be a fish pond or bird bath that never gets emptied because I run into one buzzing around me at least a few times a week in the evening when I walk my dogs.

But they're not such a bother that we need screens on every window or door.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question on Mosquitoes

Years ago I lived in Minnesota over a summer. What you call mosquitoes (state bird isn't it?) and what we call mosquitoes are two completely different things. I doubt seriously you'll notice anything. And most of the time you'll be wearing long pants and long sleeves.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question on Mosquitoes

I haven't had a mosquito bite in I don't know how many years. The last one I got was in Southern California. This isn't a hospitable climate for mosquitoes - too cold and windy.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question on Mosquitoes

Sorry Wellvis & Cinta(Bella)green, but neither the cold nor wind is a deterrent and San Francisco isn't mosquito-free, if I recall correctly there's some 25 different species that are commonly found, some natives and some imports. As RamblinSal indicates our local clothing choices may play a significant role in why you're not being routinely bit, additionally where and at what time you're at different locations in the City will be a factor. Memory may also be a factor here as until this year the past six were "drought" years which reduced places where mosquitoes could breed. Finally in a remarkably stealthy fashion the City has a surprisingly aggressive mosquito suppression program, started several years ago in response to the West Nile Virus gaining foothold in the US. Storm drain catch basins (a major breeding ground for Culex pipiens) in the City are treated with a pesticide on a monthly basis from February through November (you can identify a treated basin by a spot of colored spray paint on the grate) and various City agencies actually cooperate in mosquito prevention and treatment activities. Naturally the City has their own unique spin on mosquito treatment, with treatments being performed by a contractor who uses a fleet of bicycle riding applicators who drop tiny packets of pesticides into storm drains, the locations of which are recorded using a GPSR system. The pesticides are of the environmentally friendly flavor, mostly Vectolex, which uses a biological agent, Bacillus sphaericus, to kill mosquito larvae. You can read more about the bike messengers turned pest control applicators here http://mosquitosf.com/about.html .

Back to the OP, although we may have a stray mosquito or two, it's nothing like what a coworker described mosquitoes to be like in Minnesota during the summer months. Of course there may have been some one-upmanship going on here, and there was her strange carp fetish..... I suspect your efforts to keep from becoming a tourist-cicle (you know, the columns of blue ice wearing shorts and sandals) will be enough to keep you protected.

Edited: 12 May 2011, 11:24
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question on Mosquitoes

Interesting, Caffiend. Thought I disagree on clothing choice- I've spent quite a bit of time in humid climates, namely Southeast Asia, and more recently on my last vacation to southern Mexico, and mosquitoes always flock to me. I've worn long sleeves/pants and still get bitten everywhere. It's pretty miserable! Never had a problem in SF, and so I very highly doubt the OP will have an issue with mosquitoes here.

Northfield...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Question on Mosquitoes

Thanks everyone! I am from Minnesota, so my question comes out of my experiences here in the summer. I will plan on having no, or very little problem with mosquitoes there.

sf
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Question on Mosquitoes

Mosquitos have never been a problem in SF, its to darn windy, but if in GG Park or wet areas you'll find them. I live in the Burbs now so we have them, but its not like SF is in the tropics.

Oostburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
270 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question on Mosquitoes

Of all the things to anticipate, I'd forget about mosquitoes and flies. I would, however, be aware that some of the people you meet on the street might "bite".