We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near 600 Townsend Street

Toronto
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near 600 Townsend Street

Hi.. I actually have 2 questions;

1. Looking for hotel near 600 Townsend Street for husband on business trip.

2. I will be joining husband at end of business trip for 5 nights flying in and out of San Francisco. We have been to San Fran twice before...done drive down to Carmel and up into Sonoma Valley. Looking for ideas for us....this will be at the end of January. I know its not the best time of year weather wise. Should we drive south and try to catch warmer, sunnier weather, taking into account our flights are booked out of San Fran.

Thanks for suggestions

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near 600 Townsend Street

jane - You will not find hotel choices near 600 Townsend. I suggest looking in the Union Square area, and you can easily take a bus from there. If the weather is not nice in San Francisco, it probably won't be better anywhere south of here either. Plan to play it by ear; during the winter we can have quite mild days when it is not raining and there is a lot to do in the City.

Edited: 12 January 2011, 06:11
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near 600 Townsend Street

While there are some offices in that area, there's not a lot around Townsend and 7th St. Certainly not in the way of hotels.

Is hubby on a budget or can he grab cabs? The 10-Townsend bus runs right by there and it wouldn't be a long ride to get to the Financial District where there are quite a few hotels. If cabs are a possibility, Union Square would have more (and possibly cheaper) options.

At this time of the year, you'd have to drive to LA to find anything "warmer" and even then it has been a wet winter all along the coast. Certainly warmer than what you're used to, but sure not bikini weather. Santa Barbara is a possibiity but it's a 6 hour drive.

What kinds of things do you like to do? SF has so much in the way of indoor entertainment if you enjoy theatre, galleries, museums, etc.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near 600 Townsend Street

I put 600 Townsend into Expedia's find a hotel by address function. The nearest places were motels in the northwestern part of the South of Market district, in the vicinity of 7th & Mission St., about 1/2 to 3/4 mile away. They and the neighborhood there are OK, but no great shakes, and near the Tenderloin, which is not such a great neighborhood. The Intercontinental at 5th & Folsom is pricy, about .7 miles away (probably as the crow flies) according to Expedia, it's a fairly new highrise hotel just west of the convention center.

Union Square, with the big concentration of hotels is listed as being about a mile away, I think it's a bit more on the actual streets. But it would be short cab ride or ride on a Muni bus. I'd look there, as previous posters have suggested.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near 600 Townsend Street

I used to work at 650 Townsend. That whole are is very industrial and really lacks any type of neighborhood feel.

The closest hotels, which are a bit northwest if viewed on a map - are not places you'll want to stay (such places as the Vagabond Inn near Civic Center).

As you'll have to widen your scope - might as well choose Union Square and figure out the transportation options from there.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near 600 Townsend Street

If you decide on Union Square, it is easy to take the #30 or #45 bus on Stockton Street to the train station at 4th and Townsend. From there he can wait for the #10 or walk a couple of blocks.

6. Re: Hotel near 600 Townsend Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2011, 11:47