We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking apartment-what neighborhood?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
booking apartment-what neighborhood?

Hello Advisors! I'm planning a vacation for 7 people and there's a baby and a grandma with mobility issues in the group. I have some great looking options for apartments in a few areas-could you advise me on what neighborhoods will be the most secure, have good public transportation access, and be less, well, steep incline prone? Thanks so much! Here's the approximate addresses.

Carl St., south of Lincoln Way

Alamos Square

Richmond District, close to Sea Wall

I don't know much about the areas, so if one jumps out at you as being either extra-great, or fraught with issues, let me know!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

San Francisco...
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: booking apartment-what neighborhood?

Out of those I would go with Carl St south of Lincoln Way because it is a nice area, a few blocks from Golden Gate Park, and you have the N-Judah muni line running right from where you are, so it's a straight shot to downtown (about 15 min) from there and a decently flat neightborhood,

With Richmond District, I'm assuming you mean "Sea Cliff" not "Sea Wall", well not an ideal place to live..it is residential but the weather is just no go, and you get your meandering hilly streets,

Alamo square is a nice area but it is not a flat area you might be on an incline depending where you are...for that area you have the 5-Fulton bus and the 31-Balboa, to take you all the way to Ocean Beach or a 20 minute ride downtown...

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booking apartment-what neighborhood?

Always get the exact address (or street and cross street) and come back here for advice. You can also google street view the address to make sure it's not above an after-hours club or all night grocery =:0 I also ask for the square footage of the unit as pictures can be very deceiving. A floor plan is nice too but I don't insist upon it.

How many bedrooms are you looking for (I'm not sure if there are couples among these 7 or not)?

On the face of it I would lean toward Carl St but you have to finish the due diligence first.

Also, have a look at the Cow Hollow Suites. http://www.cowhollowsuites.com/ Their biggest unit is 2 bedroom but it is also connected to the Cow Hollow Inn so you might be able to do a composite of suite and rooms. Free parking. Also, this neighborhood (Marina) is the flatest in the city and the building lets out to Chestnut Street where the 30-Stockton bus runs (10 minutes to Fisherman's Wharf, 15 to North Beach/Chinatown, 25 to Union Square). Lots of local dining options and a grocery store as well.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booking apartment-what neighborhood?

Thanks! I'll get the addresses.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking apartment-what neighborhood?

So, I'm deciding at this point between...

1750 sq. ft., 2 bdrm, on Peirce St., south of Haight St.

1200 sq. ft, 3 bdrm(a bonus) on 250 Carl St., east of Stanyan St.

? sq. ft., 2 bdrm, 1345 or 47 McAllister St. a block north of the Painted Ladies

My heart lies with the McAllister St. building(done in the Belle Epoque style, goooooorrrgeous), but only the Carl St. building has an option that's close to street level. A bonus on the McAllister address is that there is a bus a half block away(I've e-mailed the owner), so once the stairs are done, walking distances should be minimal. I'm just not sure where to weight preferences. Do any of the areas have security issues? Does anyone know the blocks well? Thanks!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: booking apartment-what neighborhood?

1. Pierce south of Haight. This is near Duboce Triangle and the N-Judah runs 2 blocks away. Area is nice and relatively flat. I'm not that familiar with the neighborhood but it's worth considering.

2. 250 Carl St. is WEST of Stanyan. However the N Judah runs on Carl so there is transit on your front door. (Although you'll likely hear it.) Nice neighborhood and if you take the N a few blocks to Irving Street there are *lots* of little eateries. Cole Valley is closeby too and there are a few nice restaurants there as well. It's also quite close to Golden Gate Park. Relatively flat.

3. 1345 McAllister -- this is by far the hilliest of the 3 locations. The 5-McAllister bus runs outside (electric so not as noisy). The neighborhood around Alamo Square goes from good to yuck in a block. Unfortunately there are pockets of public housing a couple of blocks away. That said I have a friend who lives on Alamo Square and has no problems. Bottom line this place would probably be fine for adults but with a stroller and grandma I think the hill is a bit much.

So I think the Carl Street location is best. However, double check the address as 250 is west of Stanyan.

I still think you should check the Cow Hollow Suites, there are elevators and, as I said previously, it's the flatest neighborhood in town.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: booking apartment-what neighborhood?

I can't speak for the exact address, because it's missing for the Pierce and Haight location, but that area is also filled with some very grand Victorians and Edwardians.

It's really flat - and there is a nice walk through Duboce Park you could take to get to some great restaurants and a big Safeway or smaller groceries for shopping.

Also very close to the N-Judah line which will zip you downtown in no time (the stop is actually at Duboce Park).

Gotta say though - if it's the 160 Pierce complex, that's pretty ugly and 60s modern. Just checking on Google Street View.

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: booking apartment-what neighborhood?

I think that all of the areas you mentioned would really be very poor choices. Sea Clift has awful weather and is far from any place you'd want to visit. Carl Street isn't desirable and Alamo Square might have a safety issue. I would bet that each of these apartments has more stairs to climb than any of you could imagine. If grandma has "mobility issues".. case closed. Someone mentioned the Cow Hollow Suites in the Marina. PERFECT. Great area. Lots of restaurants in all price ranges, a beautiful safeway market; a really pleasant area in which to stay.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: booking apartment-what neighborhood?

Thanks for the advice; I'm trying to take a bit more time to look at more options. I checked out Cow hollow suites, which seemed nice, though they are priced over my other potentials by about 80 dollars a night. If the Carl St. is that much less accessible to tour stops, it might be a thought.

xchocolatex: Is there something particular that you don't like about carl st.? I looked at the address and it looked like quiet, older residential, with good bus access. I can see we're a few blocks from cafes and restaurants, but we'll probably be doing a lot of our own cooking. Or coming back late.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: booking apartment-what neighborhood?

I really don't think Carl Street is undesirable. It's very residential, close to Golden Gate Park - and right on the N-Judah streetcar line. It's also literally a block from UCSF Medical Center and Hospital.

Our Buena Aries friend is correct that no matter what rental home you choose, most likely it will involve at least one flight of stairs. It's just the nature of the city.

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: booking apartment-what neighborhood?

Carl St. seems to be your best bet. Make sure to find out about the accessibility for granny. If you are planning to rent a van, rent it in the morning and return the same day. San Francisco has one of the worst parking problems in the world. $80.00 a night difference!! If there is any more affordable place in the Marina it would be great.