We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy prepaid SIM card?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
Where to buy prepaid SIM card?

I would like to purchase either a Simple Mobile or H2O prepaid SIM card for use with my GSM mobile phone when I arrive next week and I was wondering whether they are readily available for purchase in shops in San Francisco?

I will be staying in a hotel near Fisherman's wharf. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,373 Reviews
from US$ 105.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,822 Reviews
from US$ 126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,642 Reviews
from US$ 61.20*
US$ 68.00
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Where to buy prepaid SIM card?

Lots of info from caffiend on this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k291658…

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Where to buy prepaid SIM card?

The previous discussion that RamblinSal pointed you to addresses prepaid SIMs from the majors. Simple Mobile is reselling airtime on T-Mobile's network; they don't have any retailers for their products within San Francisco itself, you'd have to waste precious vaction time going to the East Bay or the Peninsula.

H2O Wireless Unlimited is reselling airtime on AT&T's (ex-Cingular) network. You can purchase their SIMs and activation cards from Best Buy, for which there are two in San Francisco (1717 Harrison Street or 2675 Geary Boulevard, all the way out at Masonic) neither of which is particularly convenient to you at Fisherman's Wharf. Personally I'd have to (a) be making a pretty extended trip AND (b) be planning to make very heavy use of cellular voice services (H20 doesn't offer data service yet) before making the trip. Also note that although AT&T has a better overall network footprint, to make full use of it, you really need a phone that hits both the 850 (800 MHz) cellular and 1900 MHz PCS bands; Euro tri-bands lack the 850 MHz service leaving you with holes.

3. Re: Where to buy prepaid SIM card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2010, 10:50