We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how far from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf

Houston
5 posts
how far from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf

Staying at Hotel 480 in Union Square...is it a long walk to Fisherman's Wharf via Chinatown? Also taking a day in Napa..probably doing the Wine Train for lunch...is it a doable drive after wine train to go from Napa/Santa Rosa/over to Bodega Bay and then back down coast to San Francisco?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: how far from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf

It's about 2 miles, so I'd estimate it will take about an hour with minimal stops. I'm sure you'll be stopping a lot so it could take 2-3 hours.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: how far from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf

While Napa/SR/Bodega is doable if you just want to drive I would not recommend it. You would be amiss passing Sonoma with it's lovely town square, History, shops & wineries. I personally would skip the train instead doing a few wineries & other sights, go to Sonoma having lunch on the Square (the Cheese factory place is fun) & then go on to SR/Bodega.

Houston
5 posts
3. Re: how far from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf

Thanks for the quick replies!!! We are uncertain about the wine train yet. I was hoping when it was over to have enough time to do the drive from Napa, up through Sonoma, Glen Ellen, Santa Rosa, over to Hwy 1 and back into the City. We will be there the middle of next month. How late do the shops/vineyards stay open? Any suggested walking routes from Union Sq down to the wharf? I was thinking of doing this our first day there and then taking the ferry over to Sausalito for dinner, but departure times for ferry for return trip may not work out. Any other restaurant suggestions for our first evening? We are 4 crazy middle age women cousins!!

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: how far from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf

From your hotel if you walk down Sutter St. 2 blocks to Grant and turn left this will take you through Chinatown____keep going until you hit Columbus and turn left and follow Columbus through North Beach all the way to Wharf. You may want to turn down Taylor or Mason off Columbus once through North Beach and this will take you more to the centre of the Wharf.

You can do this route with very little hills in about 40 minutes but allow an hour .The last Ferry from Sausalito does leave too early to really enjoy dinner. Another alternative is to do lunch over there one day.

Have a look at Steps of Rome in North Beach for a fun dinner night.

www.stepsofrome.com

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,555 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: how far from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf

I am with peddler on the wine train then Sonoma and the coast.

The wine train is just that, a ride up the tracks and back. It does not stop at wineries. You could go to the Napa Valley early, Visit a winery or two, then over to the town of Sonoma for lunch around the lovely historic Plaza. Then up Highway 12, passing many wineries, to Hwy 101 in Santa Rosa, go north to River Road and take it to Guerneville. Here you have a chance to visit Armstrong Grove Redwoods Natural Preserve, for some of the most magnificent first growth redwoods ever.

Then on to the coast and cross the Russian River. The next 10 miles to Bodega Bay you will pass several State Beaches. After Bodega Bay go south but do not take the turn where Highway 1 goes to Tomales. Stay on course and you will be on the Bodega Highway to Petaluma and Hwy 101. This is about 45 minutes from the Golden Gate Bridge.

Yes, it is doable. Easily, but not leisurely if you need to include the Napa Valley.

I would, frankly, skip Napa and go directly to Sonoma, enjoying the historic town, the wineries around it and the many you will see in the Sonoma Valley on the way to Santa Rosa on Hwy 12.

This is really a lovely trip.

6. Re: how far from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 16:52