We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a way to search the Forum for topics?

Pomona, California
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Is there a way to search the Forum for topics?
Save

Every time I put a question in the search bar it defualts to commericial operations (bar all the way at top with the magnifying glass.

9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Is there a way to search the Forum for topics?
Save

Don't use the search bar at the very top of the screen. Use the one just above and to the left of the large "Ask A Question" button. When you get results change the default sort to "by date."

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
24,093 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: Is there a way to search the Forum for topics?
Save

Even if you search in the right search box as Madeline suggested, the search function on TripAdvisor is not very good. Okay, it was my polite version of my other description which had been blipped out.

I want to share with you some techniques that I have developed in searches in TA forums.

You can use the full power of Google Search to find past discussions. But you need to do some tricks to home in at the right place. For discussions in the San Francisco forum, use the following Google query (just a sample):

site:https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30 free cable car day

The first piece "site:https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30" forces Google to narrow it down to those articles in the San Francisco forum. (It seems that the g60713 is the code for this destination form. I don't know if "i30" mean anything but it seems most discussions have that. Maybe it is an integral part of a forum ID, not sure. Each forum has a unique forum code.

Feel free to change the query from "free cable car day" to the discussions of your interest. The more specific the search terms, the better the results returned.

Unfortunately the date filters do not seem to work for TA articles. (e.g. I want to view only those threads posted between 2020 and 2021.) My guess is each piece of article carries all the "extra stuff" on the same page, such as links, Recent Conversations, and other non-topic related information added on, rendering the date filtering unusable.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
24,093 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Is there a way to search the Forum for topics?
Save

You can also use the following Google Search query to search for discussions with topic titles (instead of the content of the discussions) that contain your provided words.

e.g.

site:https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30 intitle:ferry alcatraz

This will return the TA threads in the San Francisco forum with the words "ferry" and "alcatraz" in the title.

e.g. 2

site:https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30 intitle:golden gate bridge

This will return the TA threads in the San Francisco forum with the words "golden", "gate", "bridge" in the title.

Unfortunately the threads linked may point to some very old discussions. I couldn't find a way to filter out results by date range. Keep that in mind.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
15,544 posts
343 reviews
99 helpful votes
4. Re: Is there a way to search the Forum for topics?
Save

You are already formulating your own threads for your San Francisco trip and might just continue to do so.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
10,937 posts
473 reviews
233 helpful votes
5. Re: Is there a way to search the Forum for topics?
Save

I agree that you'll get better results using your own search online.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
87,101 posts
2,908 reviews
2,706 helpful votes
6. Re: Is there a way to search the Forum for topics?
Save

Yes.

Take this forum page, as an example.

Just below the hyperlink “breadcrumb trail,” there is a query box, with a magnifying glass. It says “San Francisco Forums,” in a drop-down. If necessary, change the forum, to suit.

Good luck,

Hunt

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
69,251 posts
396 reviews
719 helpful votes
7. Re: Is there a way to search the Forum for topics?
Save

Use the search in the Forums and after you get the results, change the parameter from "relevance" to "Date".

Level Contributor
12,341 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Is there a way to search the Forum for topics?
Save

#7 same as #1.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
68 reviews
33 helpful votes
9. Re: Is there a way to search the Forum for topics?
Save

Maybe I am not understanding the question...

On the mobile site (iPhone or Android) there is a

“Search The Xxxxxx Forum” search bar ...

and this is true if you are in a main forum (California) or a sub-Forum too (Monterey, or Los Angels, or San Francisco, etc.)

And you can sort by “Relevance” or “Date”

I think it works better if you’re searching for something specific like searching in the Pebble Beach forum for “Roy’s” versus searching something generic like “activities for children”, but I use it all the time

Edited: 25 August 2021, 23:57
Reply to: Is there a way to search the Forum for topics?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.