We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way car Rental

Perth
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
One way car Rental

Hi All,

Will be flying into San Fran in early August and will be driving don to LA. Looking for recommendations on one way car rentals? Also is a small size car suitable? Don’t think I will need anything much larger.

Cheers James

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,360 Reviews
from US$ 105.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,798 Reviews
from US$ 126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,629 Reviews
from US$ 61.20*
US$ 68.00
8 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,981 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One way car Rental

Hi James

Book from a name brand company or a 3rd party broker. Identify yourself as Australian. Pick up the reserved car in downtown San Francisco (abbreviated SF) after your city tourism.

Any size car is fine. You're likely to pay a one way drop fee.

Do you know about the closure on Hwy 1?

{How will you be traveling in California AND in Canada at the same time? Hermione Granger's Time Turner necklace?}

Perth
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One way car Rental

Thanks for the tips!

Yes, unfortunately have seen the road closure on the highway, I guess we will just have to go around!

I have the week in Canada before San Fran then another week in Maui :)

I wonder if I could get a discount for using the same company in 3 different places?

Cheers James

Munich
Level Contributor
9,912 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One way car Rental

No, there is no discount. But look around there are a few car rental companies which don't charge a one-way-fee between SF and LA. At least for us Germans, when we book via a german website. Maybe it is the same in Australia?

Beate

Level Contributor
2,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: One way car Rental

Whatever size car you choose, be sure that everything you own can fit in the trunk. You don't want anything visible in the car when you park it.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,868 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One way car Rental

>>unfortunately have seen the road closure on the highway, I guess we will just have to go around!<<

Yes, but be sure to allow enough time (at least two nights) in Monterey first, so you have time to visit Big Sur. If the road were open, most people spend the majority of their day driving from Monterey to Cambria. So spending two nights in Monterey allows you the same amount of time to explore, you just have to turn around to return to Monterey for the night. The next morning, connect to Hwy. 101 to continue your drive south.

>>I wonder if I could get a discount for using the same company in 3 different places?<<

Probably not, but using the same company in 3 different places (and signing up for their loyalty program) will probably allow you to skip the counter, and may even get you upgrades.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 19:37
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One way car Rental

Are you picking up the car on arrival at SFO, or in the city after visiting SF for a few days? And are you dropping the car at LAX (airport) or somewhere else in L.A.

Alamo has the best rate for the one-way rental and a mid-size car is only a few dollars more than the smallest economy car. But they only have two return locations in LA, LAX or Hollywood-Burbank Airport.

Currently it looks like you'll get a much better rate booking via happytoursusa.com than by booking with Alamo.com.au

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One way car Rental

I have booked a car with AVIS from San Fran to LAX. A very good price I thought.

Plan is to drive to Mariposa from SF and visit Yosemite for a few days. Then drive to LAX from Mariposa in a day. Hope that's going to work out ok.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One way car Rental

The journey from Mariposa to LAX (airport) went really well. Took 5h 30m at a leisurely pace. Bit frantic at the end it fine.

Avis were excellent too.

Car was quite a gas guzzler a Ford Taurus. 3.5ltr V6 about 22mpg!

Reply to: One way car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted