We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: is it safe to visit san francisco for muslim women ?

Alexandria, Egypt
2 posts
Save Topic
Re: is it safe to visit san francisco for muslim women ?

This question has been asked here around three years ago, I read the answers and I got that there is no problem...

I'm re-asking the question for two reasons

1- We are in 2018 and I don't know if things have changed

2- I'm wearing niqab -face cover- not only hijab.

note: my plan is to come for work (a software intern)

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,360 Reviews
from US$ 105.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,799 Reviews
from US$ 126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,630 Reviews
from US$ 61.20*
US$ 68.00
11 replies to this topic
1. Re: Re: is it safe to visit san francisco for muslim women ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 May 2018, 08:14
Edited: 26 May 2018, 08:14

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,838 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: is it safe to visit san francisco for muslim women ?

I wouldn't worry. There are a lot of muslims in the SF Bay Area, and people in general are very accepting of people of different religions, etc.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,162 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re: is it safe to visit san francisco for muslim women ?

Should not be an issue in SF or the Bay Area at all

Level Contributor
2,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Re: is it safe to visit san francisco for muslim women ?

You’ll get looks but I wouldn’t worry.

The de Young museum will be doing a Special Exhibition soon on “Muslim Fashion.”

California
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re: is it safe to visit san francisco for muslim women ?

A Muslim woman in San Francisco does not face safety issues on those conditions. But do be aware that San Francisco is a very expensive city in which to find housing. My daughter-in-law was on a J-1 visa, under which she was paid but even then she found San Francisco housing challenges; not related to religion or gender. Don't know your situation.

Please also appreciate that the Trump administration is moving ahead with sanctions on overstayers on F and M visas, and already Korean students, still the number three group and the first in per capita terms, are finding the U.S. as a whole increasingly unattractive as an overseas study venue. So you need to continually monitor your visa situation. I have ties with Koreans based on long time expatriate experience in Seoul, and these are recent developments also affecting those coming from Saudi Arabia. This is not singling out Koreans or Saudis, but part of a broader stricter approach.

Good luck with your internship.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,162 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re: is it safe to visit san francisco for muslim women ?

Liars. Every visa or visa waiver visitor can have issues if they overstay. Not sure why only this Op needs that warning or what that has to do with being a visitor from Egypt asking about her face mask

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,642 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Re: is it safe to visit san francisco for muslim women ?

There are large populations of Muslim in the Bay Area. While I would not say that there will not be potential problems, I would just agree that in general this area is very accepting diverse populations. But every so often there are individual acts against people who are "different".

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Re: is it safe to visit san francisco for muslim women ?

I’ve seen plenty of these around the city: openculture.com/2017/01/download-print-free-…

In general most people will support you though the full face covering still catches us off guard. We’re just not that used to it - and culturally it can easily be mistaken as repression of women. It’d be easier to understand if Muslim men wore them also. But it’s your culture and you shouldn’t have to explain it.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
11,180 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Re: is it safe to visit san francisco for muslim women ?

I only notice women with full-face coverings two or three times a year downtown. Nobody ever seems to bother them. It does look unusual, at least to me, but being unusual is pretty much the norm around here, so it's rarely an issue.

Edited: 26 May 2018, 13:52
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Re: is it safe to visit san francisco for muslim women ?

san Francisco is vey safe in general for woman, I see a few muslium woman that live here mainly once a week,

Reply to: Re: is it safe to visit san francisco for muslim women ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted