We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiddos Birthday

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
271 posts
58 reviews
Kiddos Birthday

My lovely angel will turn 12 on our epic vacation...Is there anything special I should consider doing in SF?

11 replies to this topic
sf
Level Contributor
3,695 posts
1. Re: Kiddos Birthday

Sorry but it's too vague a question? I have a 12 yr old daughter, and I ask her what she's interested in doing.

A little research would help>

Edited: 25 May 2018, 10:20
Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: Kiddos Birthday

Exploratorium at Pier 15.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
315 posts
1 review
3. Re: Kiddos Birthday

I agree with the first post - it really depends on what interests your child (and you).

She is old enough to be able to look through a tour book or website and make a list of things that sound interesting.

You will get much better suggestions here if you provide more detailed info.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,591 posts
79 reviews
4. Re: Kiddos Birthday

At 12, I would have loved field club seats to a Giants baseball game. Or dinner in a 'fancy' restaurant. Yours may crave afternoon tea at the Garden Court of the Palace Hotel. Or a helicopter tour over SF Bay. Or the Rocket Boat racing on the Bay. Or....????

If you don't want to spoil a surprise, what type of thing would she enjoy if you were doing something special in Phoenix? (I actually spent my 12th birthday in Phoenix, celebrating at a restaurant that had a knight in armor on horseback in front, and put a sparkler on my birthday cake. I'd never seen a sparkler before, so kept trying to blow the darned thing out!!)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
271 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: Kiddos Birthday

So sorry about being so vague - she will be turning 12 and she loves to bake. She also loves Legos. Thanks for the afternoon tea idea - that's something I'll look into. Is their a special, kid friendly restaurant you would recommend. In Phoenix, Rustler's Rooste is special for birthdays so wondering if San Francisco has something like that (a special occasion, kid-friendly restaurant, not a western themed one)

Thanks xx

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,320 posts
149 reviews
6. Re: Kiddos Birthday

SF is a more serious food town so those kid-friendly special fun places don't last too long -- you have to hit the burbs for the chuck e and trampoline type places (am not suggesting you go to Chuck e cheese -- but you get my idea)

The afternoon tea would have been my suggestion too.

I have used this site to setup a company event -- Please see if you can find something you like

https:/…baking

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
271 posts
58 reviews
7. Re: Kiddos Birthday

Thank you. I checked out Cozymeal - definitely something to keep in mind. I would like to do something on her birthday, and definitely not a trampoline/Chucky type place.

In addition to baking, she loves animals and adventure (things like whitewater rafting/ziplining, but not helicopters)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,327 posts
65 reviews
8. Re: Kiddos Birthday

The Museum of Ice Cream is cool and unique. You’d have to buy tickets and it sells out, so check availability now for your date. The Palace Hotel Tea is special. Jet boat ride is fun. Urban Putt is very unique indoor mini golf with good food for lunch or early dinner (no one under 21 after 8:00 pm).

sf
Level Contributor
3,695 posts
9. Re: Kiddos Birthday

I'd also second the Exploratorium, and check out the Tactile Dome if she isn't claustrophobic

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,591 posts
79 reviews
10. Re: Kiddos Birthday

Baking -- maybe a food walking tour of the Mission District... one that focuses on the various bakeries there? Or chocolate? (I think kids are allowed on the tours, but you'd have to check with the companies.)

Adventure/adrenaline -- the Rocket Boat, definitely! There's a trampoline place and a rock wall climbing place in the Presidio. Maybe there's somewhere for stand-up paddleboarding lessons? There's kayaking in Sausalito that's pretty easy and fun.

Dim sum at Yank Sing might be interesting -- if you're unfamiliar, it's like a selection of Chinese appetizers that comes to your table on little carts... carts with steamed items, carts with fried items, carts with individual servings of Peking duck. My favorites are the soup dumplings -- dumplings with (hot) liquid soup and a little meatball inside. You point and eat.

Other than chains like Rainforest Cafe and Bubba Gump, we don't have a lot of theme restaurants. Even kid-friendly here doesn't mean chicken fingers and a ball pit -- most restaurants are 'kid-friendly'.

If she likes horses, there used to be an afternoon tea place called Tal y Tara that managed to combine afternoon tea with English riding supplies -- but they're 'temporarily' closed. Although if she's a budding Anglophile, Crown & Crumpet in Japan Center is fun without being formal -- full of floral patterns and magazines about the Royal Family.

Animals are a little harder, as our zoo is just ok. But the rain forest exhibit at the California Academy of Sciences might be interesting.

Reply to: Kiddos Birthday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted