We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lanikai, Kailua, Waimanalo

San Antonio, Texas
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lanikai, Kailua, Waimanalo

I had no idea the illegal rentals, B&B's was a problem. My family wanted to stay in a beach house (4 people) in one of these areas, but now I'm not so sure what to do. My husband is a local boy born and raised in Kailua, and he never heard about this. Guess we'll need to talk to his parents and relatives who live there. How do we know who has an illegal business ?

Mahalo for your time

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
14 replies to this topic
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lanikai, Kailua, Waimanalo

While I understand the sentiment, "smoking out the baddies" (about 95% of all vacation rentals) might cause many of the businesses in Kailua that are dependent on tourism significant hardship. A better alternative would be to come up with a plan expanding the number of rentals in a responsible manner...and has support of the neighborhood

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Lanikai, Kailua, Waimanalo

The vast majority of tourists who visit downtown Kailua are NOT staying in illegal vacation rentals or B&B hotels. As far as expansion of vacation rentals and B&B hotels on Oahu, they are allowed in all resort-zoned land parcels and there is NO regulatory limit to their expansion. Many years ago, Oahu residents determined residential-zoning should be for residences and not commercial visitor accommodations. Residentially zoned properties that were operating as visitor accommodations prior to the law being passed were given the opportunity to apply for non-conforming use certificates and allowed to continue operate indefinitely, but with the assumption they would ultimately one day become residences again. Following zoning laws is extremely important for a small island community since land is a scarce resource. Take for example agriculture zone land. There is tremendous pressure to turn agriculture land into residential, resort or commercial zoning, but once you loose agriculture land, it’s unlikely you will ever get it back. Guests staying in illegal vacation rentals and B&B hotels are not per-se breaking the law, but morally they are doing the right thing by not staying in illegal accommodations.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
67,990 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lanikai, Kailua, Waimanalo

Aloha,

Take it Away, Amberloo!!! This will be fun.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lanikai, Kailua, Waimanalo

aakamai,

Nice first post. I can't argue with any of the info in your well thought out response (although, I don't believe there is any resort zoned land in Kailua, which is why so many illegal rentals have popped up); however, I still believe that taking away 95% of the vacation rentals would cause hardship to some of the businesses there. Take a look at vrbo and see just how many of these there are (which I also realize bolsters the argument against them!). I go home twice a year and notice how many of the shoppers are tourists; and I seriously doubt most of them come from Waikiki to shop in Kailua.

As I mentioned in another post Pat's Kailua has a number of compliant properties (which is where I'm staying in July) if people are interested.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Reply to: Lanikai, Kailua, Waimanalo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Waimanalo
;