We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed with choices- please help!

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,369 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Overwhelmed with choices- please help!

So we are thinking about skipping one of our twice a year trips to Cabo next April to go to Hawaii. We know we want to spend at least 1 week on Maui, maybe 10 days. If we only do a week, we will most likely visit another island for 5-7 days too.

I've never been to Maui and am going crazy trying to read everything! Here is what we like. We will have a car to explore the island by day. We do like our cocktails at night so would like to stay somewhere where we could walk to restaurants and bars. We are used to resorts with all the amenities but would consider a condo if it has a nice pool. An onsite restaurant and bar would be a huge plus but not absolutely needed. Of course beachfront would be preferred but at least a view.

I have been reading listings on Redweek and VRBO but that really isn't helping since I don't know anything about the area. Does what I'm looking for in Maui exsist?

Thanks in advance?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed with choices- please help!

In West Maui it sounds like you are describing Kaanapali Beach Resort area and the Whalers village shops and restaurants.

The other area that would work would be downtown Lahaina and the Lahaina Shores condo and it has a shopping center next door and walk to the town with shops, restaurants and historic sites.

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,369 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed with choices- please help!

Thank you so much! I will check those. How about Kaanapali Beach Club?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,465 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed with choices- please help!

KBC is a converted Embassy Suites so no full kitchens but small kitchenettes.

Also take a look at the Honua Kai, the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas and the Aston Maui Kaanapali villas...all on a great stretch of beach just north of Black Rock.

The Westin and Aston have free shuttles into Whaler's Village.

For condos ON Kaanapali check The Whaler, the MArriott Ocean Club and the Ali'i.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,418 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwhelmed with choices- please help!

Budget? The Kaanapali area is nice but other areas of Maui are just as nice. You may also want to check out Napili/Kapalua in the west/north area or take a look at south Maui. Kihei, Wailea or Makena. Most pools on Maui are not heated so you will want to take that into consideration.

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,369 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwhelmed with choices- please help!

A full kitchen is not important to us as long as there is a refrigerator. I would like to keep it under $1500 for the week- there are lots of listings for many of the suggested places for much less than that on both sites I am looking at. Thanks for all the help so far!

msfuzz- Do the areas you suggested have restaurants and bars within walking distance to the condos?

A regular hotel/ resort would also be fine, in fact probably more what we are looking for. How about timeshare resorts with full ammenities?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,465 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overwhelmed with choices- please help!

The Westin Villas are timeshares with full amenities, the KBC and Marriott OC are also timeshares with most, if not all, amenities.

You will pay more for daily housekeeping, most timeshares offer a one a week "tidy" during your stay.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,053 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Overwhelmed with choices- please help!

You might prefer Waikiki. Maui has *some* nightlife, but it's a dim candle beside Honolulu. Outside of the city, the 'rest' of Oahu is a beautiful, typically tropical island. You could split time between Waikiki and Turtle Bay on the north shore. You don't need a car within the city.

This site will show you aerials and provide reviews on almost every lodging in Hawaii: www.wizardpub.com

Level Contributor
35,943 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overwhelmed with choices- please help!

The Honua Kai condos are very nice! Duke's restaurant is on-site there for cocktails and poolside food and beverage service. :)

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overwhelmed with choices- please help!

We stayed at Eldorado behind the Sheraton Black Rock. See my report.

http://www.nogodforme.com/MauiHawaii2011.htm

We walked to Whaler's village a few times, short walk to black rock. Did most of our research here on TA.

Don't worry about beach front, it's expensive, and over hyped. Garden view of a golf course is fine. You'll see everything once you are there. That's what is driving you crazy. New people doing research want beach front or an ocean view, then you find out it's very expensive.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,418 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overwhelmed with choices- please help!

house hunter, yes, the condo's in Kihei are within walking distance of restaurants,bars and shops. The further south you go into Wailea or Makena the more space you will find in between. There are also a few restaurants and shops in Maalaea.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 20:10
Get answers to your questions about Lahaina
Recent Conversations