We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July airfares

jrj
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
July airfares

Any thoughts on the best time to book airfare for a trip to Maui in early July? Fares right now are sky high, but I'm wondering if they will stay that high or come down some in the next month or so?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: July airfares

Hawaiian Air only just had a sale about 2 weeks ago, fares around half price. When searching, look for flights *not* on Fri/Sat/Sun as they are the prime days and you will typically get a lot better prices flying Monday to Thursday.

And sales can last as short as 24 hours, so checking daily can yield big savings.

However, since July is in peak unless ticket sales are slow I don't know what your chances really are of a cheap ticket.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: July airfares

Clear your cache before online shopping (because some sights look at your history and offer you prices accordingly, I am serious) and then do it on a Tuesday and Wednesday when prices are lowest, they are highest over the weekend. As in the same flight tomorrow could be listed for 650 but this Friday night they will have jacked the prices up 200 dollars for the exact same flight because that is peak time for buying airline tickets.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,100 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: July airfares

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
573 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: July airfares

This is going to be tough flying out of Chicago. Last January, we got $520 from STL with connection in ORD then straight to OGG on United for July 1 departure. As far as I know, ORD-OGG did not get this offer last winter. I know of a Chi couple that drove down to STL then flew back through ORD!

So far this year, no sale yet. Still waiting. Check every day with cookie cleared.

Edited: 15 February 2011, 08:12
South Riding...
Level Contributor
63 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: July airfares

Take Alaska Air. Sign up for the signature Visa credit card online at alaska airs website. Cost is $75. With it comes a $99 companion fare in one to two weeks. Taxes and security surcharge is extra. Long and short is that your companion ticket may cost about $230 r/t from CHI to OGG ($75+$99+taxes,etc). You also get 25K miles for getting the card, miles for using the card to buy the ticket (price x 3), and miles for the flight for both parties. Our average RT price from DC to OGG this July will cost $690 and that includes the $75 for the credit card. With 25K miles thrown in plus another 10K from DC to OGG and back plus another approx 4K for using the credit card to buy the tickets, that's nearly 40K miles, not counting the other 10K my companion gets.

Edited: 16 February 2011, 06:08
6. Re: July airfares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2012, 14:42