We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local buses from Kahului?

Toronto, Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
local buses from Kahului?

We will be on the POA and docking in Kahului for 2 days.

Our first day will be a full day excursion so on the 2nd day we want to take it easy. Looking at the local bus routes there are a few that might be of interest so my questions:

Is it walkable from the pier to the nearest bus stop? - (labeled "Salvation Army" on a few of the bus routes)?

Is it easy to find that bus stop?

A couple of routes we can take from there that may be of interest - Upcountry Islander or Haiku Islander. Which of those 2 routes would be the most scenic?

What are the towns like at the end of those 2 routes? (I think one goes to Makawao and the other to Haiku)

Haiku Islander route stops in Paia - looks like a place of interest...maybe...is it worthwhile to just go that far, have a wander around, then bus back to the ship??? Or would Haiku be more interesting if we take this route?

Do the bus schedules change at different seasons? (we will be there 21-22nd October)

Thanks for any info you can provide.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local buses from Kahului?

I would really, really advise that you rent a car for the day! Waiting for buses in the sun is NOT a good thing.

We use http://discounthawaiicarrental.com/ Note the "pier pick-up" at the top of the page.

If you haven't yet checked out www.cruisecritic.com jump over there now...go to the boards and scroll down for your specific cruise. Lots of reviews as well.

Toronto, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: local buses from Kahului?

Thanks for responding mamma0233. I appreciate your advice but we do not want to rent a car. I posted on cruise critic and it was suggested that I post my questions here :-)

If anyone else can answer my questions about the buses it would be greatly appreciated.

We will have a very full and active day on a private tour on our first day and want to take it easy the second day, to the point of maybe even staying on the ship if we cannot find something else to do for a few hours. It is a port intensive cruise and we want some down time. :-)

Edited: 27 April 2012, 14:52
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: local buses from Kahului?

Paia town is small but you will find enough to do adding lunch or grabbing a few beers while looking around. if you want to make it to the Shops at Wailea the same bus stop will take you there. as for the bus stop, your better off walking to the little bit further Queen Kaahumanu Center. this is where everyone loads and unloads. so grabbing the next bus stop (Salvation Army) leaves no seats together if any.

Edited: 27 April 2012, 15:48
Toronto, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: local buses from Kahului?

Great info QFOX, thank you very much. I was told that the Queen Kaahumanu Center provided free shuttle service from the pier to the Center a few years ago so I will check that out, if still running that would make it even easier :-)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,744 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: local buses from Kahului?

Paia is an 'aging hippie' sort of town along the coast. Makawaeo is Upcountry with several artists' shops. Each is fun to browse and has restaurants.

Please don't reject a car rental out of hand. It would be less tiring than the bus, and you could set your own 'schedule'. Roads are excellent and well marked. It's quite a challenge to get lost on Maui. lol

Where does your tour take you? Road to Hana? (You'll pass through Paia.)

LA
Level Contributor
10,036 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: local buses from Kahului?

I would not waste my precious shore time on a local bus system.

I would rent a car or purchase a tour.

Toronto, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: local buses from Kahului?

ChiSue - We are taking a 9-hour West Maui Circle tour on the first day with No Ka Oi Adventures (Wade Holmes). We were going to do the Road to Hana with him - his day tour for that route is 12-14 hours and he said that anything less would not do that route justice and we cannot do 12-14 hours that day for other reasons.

PareoB - we have looked for short tours for purchase. I have found only one of interest so far - Roberts Hawaii to Haleakala Crater (not sunrise) - a 4 hour tour starting 8:30am. Just looking for other options and local bus came to mind hence the questions. Still researching.

We don't want to rent a car - not afraid that we could get lost - I can follow maps quite well - (forget the GPS I am electronically challenged LOL). We are just not comfortable driving a strange car on strange roads and it seems to be pointless renting a car for the sake of a few hours off the ship.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,399 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: local buses from Kahului?

I would call Paia more of a surfer, new age type place than aging hippie!! Anyway, the local bus system gets better each passing year and you should find something that suits you. Either Paia or Makawao would be nice,

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,744 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: local buses from Kahului?

IMO you are exagerating the problem of driving on Maui, but of course YOU don't know that! LOL You don't know how hot it will be to walk along a highway in commercial Kahului to the Queen K Mall. (But then, I see women off the ship in Macy's and at the discount store Ross in Kahului! )

*I* would cheerfully get into an air conditioned car that is waiting portside; go see Iao Valley; go see Paia; stop and shop at Queen Kaahumanu Mall -- whatever! I would not cheerfully walk to the mall to take a 'milk run' bus anywhere after spending thousands and flying 'forever' to get to Hawaii.

LA
Level Contributor
10,036 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: local buses from Kahului?

ChiSue nailed my sentiments perfectly.

There is a fabulous fabric store virtually at the cruiseship dock. It's in a funny odd old building but I find it a huge treat just to get to look at all those wonderful prints and colors.

…fabricmarts.com/e-tail/LocalDisplay.html…

I have no idea if this interests you or why it popped into my head, but I find it a treat to visit.