We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seeing Na Pali coast

jrj
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
seeing Na Pali coast

we will be in Princeville the last week of October.

We'd like to see the Na Pali cliffs.

Trying to decide between helicopter, wings over Kauai or boat.

We'd prefer something on North shore.

We are in our early 60s. I am somewhat afraid of heights so am concerned abut a helicopter.

Recommendations?

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seeing Na Pali coast

From what you metioned, and not comfortable with heights, you might check out Capt. Andy Catamaran. Maybe a morning trip, but what ever feels good to you all.

Viewing the Napali by boat is quite a bitg more enjoyable for a longer period of time for about the same costs.

Better opportunities to take photos. The boat trips are about 5 hours, the air tours are about an hour with not much time along the Napali.

With the boat trip, you will see quite a bit of the Napali, sea caves, beaches, probably dolphins, get in some snorkeling, have lunch and drinks, etc.

Have fun, and lay back and enjoy.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seeing Na Pali coast

I just re-read your post, you can make life really easy by taking a napali ocean crusie out of the north shore, no sense in driving all the way to the west side.

jrj
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seeing Na Pali coast

I read somewhere that boat trips were iffy the end of October because of high waves. Is this correct?

And can you recommend a boat tour in the north shore if they do travel in late October?

California
Level Contributor
40,390 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seeing Na Pali coast

It is doubtful the boats will still be going out in Oct. Maybe but maybe not. It depends on what mother nature has in store for the surf. If you can, do Holo Holo's or Napali Catamaran. I loved them both. WOK is terrific too if you want a fixed wing.

California
Level Contributor
10,085 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seeing Na Pali coast

I called Napali Catamaran last week to see if they went out the first week of Oct., and she said it would depend on conditions. It's very doubtful that they go out the end of Oct.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,402 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seeing Na Pali coast

You're most likely going to have to do a boat out of the south or west in late October. Frankly, if I were staying in Princeville I'd opt for an air tour out of Lihu`e, as the better option. Either helo or fixed-wing is good, but I prefer the helo.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Montville, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: seeing Na Pali coast

Captain Bob's. He takes off from Anini Beach. What a wonderful way to see the Napali Coast. Enjoy your stay in Kauai.

Mentioned in this post
Anini Beach
Anini Beach
707 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: seeing Na Pali coast

Doubtful they would be taking off from the North Shore that late in the season, but the way the weather's been this summer, who knows??

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: seeing Na Pali coast

Yes, you'd need to leave the north shore pretty early in the a.m. to catch the 7:30 departures out of Port Allen but many do and most think it was well worth it. In the past most of them have offered 2 departures - early a.m. and then about 1:30 p.m. Some of them seem to have replaced their standard afternoon sails with their dinner cruises . In either case you have options for taking a cruise out of Port Allen later in the day. The downside is the water conditons are choppier in the afternoon.

I'd encourage you to check out the websites of these main operators out of Port Allen. Look at what they're offering these days for schedules.

Captain Andy's

Blue Dolphin

Holo Holo

Kauai SeaTours

If you can find an operator out of the north shore at the end of October (doubtful though) keep in mind that the boats out of Port Allen are much more comfortable and larger with more seating options both below deck in the shade and up on top. This is important to some people.

Edited: 01 September 2013, 01:32
Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
california
Level Contributor
89 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: seeing Na Pali coast

We are going the first week of November. Are any boat trips available? Maybe not a catamaran, but a larger boat.

Edited: 12 September 2013, 01:27
Get answers to your questions about Princeville