We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nomoli fishpond

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Nomoli fishpond

Does anyone know a route to hike into the Nomoli fishpond? Has anyone made the trek and is it worth the journey?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1. Re: Nomoli fishpond

I think you mean Nomilo Fishpond.

I've never been - there's some trails/road's that seem to lead to it, but not sure about access.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,990 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Nomoli fishpond

Aloha from Kaua'i!

If it is the fishpond that I'm thinking of - then it is on private property and there is no legal access to it - It is on land owned by the Kaua'i Coffee Company I believe and is by Palama Beach - also private property.

I was there once with some friends quite a few years ago - but we had permission from the owners - don't think you can get there legally these days - you'd have to get a permit from Kaua'i Coffee and then from the Palama family that still has a beach home down there.

There is also an old cinder cone there - it is really a beautiful area, but as I said - access is the problem.

All this is assuming we are talking about the same fishpond - but I think so.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Nomoli fishpond

Thanks Koloagirl we've been visiting the Island since the early 80's and have seen some amazing areas. On each adventure we like to add to those very special memories Kauai has shared.

Kekahi manawa

Mahalo

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
4. Re: Nomoli fishpond

Yes, Thanks Janet...

A closer look at the satellite image shows exactly as you described from memory. The cofee plantation surrounds the mauka side on the pond and the cinder block. The lone house is off the little beach on the makai side of the pond - what a spectacular spot for a private beach cottage!

Glad you posted before I went over there hoping to be able to drive up to it!

California
Level Contributor
41,605 posts
130 reviews
5. Re: Nomoli fishpond

Pilot:

It looks like you live on the island. Maybe you can get permission to go there.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Nomoli fishpond

Unfortunately no jebett, we alas are islanders but not from the south seas, we have always been guests. We do share a common history in that Cook did visit our Island as well. Your suggestion is well taken and we may make an inquiry at the Kauai Coffee Company but it has never been our place to intrude. The history of the island seems to have stood relatively still as many oral historical accounts within a few generations prevail.

Again thanks for your suggestiion

Hipahipa

California
Level Contributor
41,605 posts
130 reviews
7. Re: Nomoli fishpond

Still confused! It says you are from Poipu. Most people put the city where they are from, not visiting, in their profile, so I thought you lived in Poipu.

The beauty of Kauai is you can visit numerous times and find new adventures every time.

I hope your trip finds you full of new adventures.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Nomoli fishpond

New to forums your guidance appreciated

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,990 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Nomoli fishpond

Aloha from Kaua'i!

You used to be able to get a permit for access thru the Kaua'i Coffee Company lands - except during harvest time - but I'm not sure whether they've done away with that or not - I'm also thinking that when they did, it was only for residents.

And as I mentioned, Palama Beach itself with the family beach house, is private land as well - the fishpond as I recall was very close to the house as was the cinder cone. I still have a bowl full of every color and size of wana (sea urchin) shells from there - there were tons of them!

But that was at least 10 years ago - so do check with Kaua'i Coffee Company as to access to any shoreline area - I just don't know their current policy.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Nomoli fishpond

Thanks Koloagirl, wow you really are dialed in and we noticed that you are connected to the Kauai museum. Absolutely fabulous. Your description of the Nomili fishpond and Palama Beach sounds incredibly beautiful.

Do you have a recommendattion for a zodiac charter to Na Pali from the south side? Point Allen, Waimea

Be well

Get answers to your questions about Kalaheo
More Kalaheo Topics