We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving during Hurricane Lane Category 3 Storm

Los Angeles...
1 post
Arriving during Hurricane Lane Category 3 Storm

First of all, I hope everyone on Big Island is safe and fairing well during Lane. This will be our 3rd year in a row going to Big Island and in 2016 we went through two potential hurricanes while there. We’ve been watching on bared breath to see how the island fairs and it looks like it’s going to be super wet during our stay in Waikoloa and throughout the island.

That said, are there any recommendations on what to do as more of a tourist during these wet times? We have an 8.5 year old and any ideas are welcome. We also have plans to see my family in Hilo and friends in Waimea assuming roads are cleared, etc.

We arrive Sat. the 25th and leave Sun. the 2nd.

Mahalo in advance.

6 replies to this topic
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,265 posts
1. Re: Arriving during Hurricane Lane Category 3 Storm

The east side is getting blasted.

Sad to see all the flooding and related issues.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,016 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Arriving during Hurricane Lane Category 3 Storm

Just play it by ear, pay attention to the alerts and news, and stay put until things have normalized. The road crews will be busy clearing roads and let them do their jobs. Waimea will be easier than Hilo.

It’s August so it’ll still be hot in Waikoloa. Assuming you have a pool to use, use it while waiting for the ocean to be declared safe. Go to Waikoloa luxury cinemas. Do inside stuff.

Sometimes you just have to read and do indoor games in bad weather, much as you wish to be exploring. I expect Waikoloa Beach Resort would normalize quickly, but it depends on whether the power goes out, trees go down, any damages, so one can’t really say until it passes.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Arriving during Hurricane Lane Category 3 Storm

Waikoloa Beach Resort itself hasn't got much rain. It rained for a couple of hours early yesterday morning, but that was it. There were strong gusts of wind late last night, but those have gone too. Currently there's no wind or rain. It's very hot and humid outside at 4:30 am which is unusual. Queens' Marketplace is opening at noon today. It was closed yesterday. Even the golf courses will be opening today. There has been no loss of power.

I have friends in Waimea who seem to be doing ok. Areas on the east side are getting slammed.

The storm seems to be turning westward away from the island rather than hugging the coast as it was projected to yesterday.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Arriving during Hurricane Lane Category 3 Storm

Umm, not turning just yet, Boulders - you’re sitting in a ‘sweet spot’ this morning:

https://www.windy.com/?rain,18.458,-155.997,7

Lane has been moving so slowly that we’re still dealing with a “cone of uncertainty”, regarding where it’s going and what the outer bands will do.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,767 posts
47 reviews
5. Re: Arriving during Hurricane Lane Category 3 Storm

How much rain have you gotten? I had seen 20 inches as of Thursday evening.. but Fishdiva posted in another thread that the BI had received 70 inches in some areas. I couldn't find that. Where was that?

Stay safe.. I have been talking with my Maui friends a lot. One thought they were evacuating because of the fire but the fire turned the other direction so they stayed put for now. Its a killer because they need rain so badly now..but not that much rain.

Edited: 24 August 2018, 22:54
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
217 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: Arriving during Hurricane Lane Category 3 Storm

As of 7:30am, still very windy here in Waikoloa Village. I see tiny specs of blue skies between thick clouds. No rain. Just a lot of wind. We shall see how things go today.

Through all this wind, we haven’t lost any power at least in this area. I’m quite impressed. Back in LA, we lose power left and right whenever we get the Santa Ana winds.

Edited: 24 August 2018, 22:54
Reply to: Arriving during Hurricane Lane Category 3 Storm
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted