We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Waikoloa vs Kings Land (kid-free trip)

Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Hilton Waikoloa vs Kings Land (kid-free trip)

My husband has a conference he is attending at the HWV. I decided to go along, since we have never been to Hawaii. Because the conference starts early each day, we are trying to find a place to stay. It seems the HWV reviews have been pretty hit or miss--the extra fees are craziness, and I am not crazy about the standard parking being so far. Our next thought was Kings Land, but it is quite a bit more than HWV even with the fees added.

Can anyone who has been there help me figure out the following:

Is it worth it to stay in the Hilton Waikoloa Village (in the Palace tower)?

Or would you choose Kings Land?

OR, is there another hotel close by (walking or a very short drive) that would be better than either?

Thanks!

13 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
109 reviews
1. Re: Hilton Waikoloa vs Kings Land (kid-free trip)

I haven't stayed at Waikoloa Beach Resort, and the hotels there don't interest me. So take my couple of cents in that context. My first choice would be a condo in the vicinity ~ lots of great options for a variety of budgets. Second choice, I'd stay at the Waikoloa Marriott. King's Land would be next after that. I totally would not want to stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Village. Walked through/around it once and that was enough. ;-)

~ Colleen

California
Level Contributor
34 posts
2. Re: Hilton Waikoloa vs Kings Land (kid-free trip)

I'd stay at Mauna Kea Beach hotel or condos in vicinity. It has access to a beautiful beach. We recently stayed at Kinglands with our kids and wanted a kitchen. The beds there were really comfortable and pools were not crowded. However, it is located inland and only has one place to eat if you don't want to cook. The menu was not to our taste and closed early. We did go to the main hotel that is ocean front and the pools were crowded when we were there. We ate at the grill which was similar quality to fast food. It was near the sad captive dolphin area.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Hilton Waikoloa vs Kings Land (kid-free trip)

As Colleen said.

Look for a condo nearby, you’ll be happier and will ultimately spend less too on those meals that you’ll be eating alone. You’ll also enjoy more comfortable downtime. Your hubby may enjoy the quiet time on a lanai or by a less crowded condo pool in the evenings. Are you looking at extending beyond the conference?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
1,184 reviews
4. Re: Hilton Waikoloa vs Kings Land (kid-free trip)

My spouse had a conference at the Hilton and we chose to stay across the street at a condo in the Vista Waikoloa. We enjoyed the extra space, washer/dryer, kitchen and heated pool. Price was great, and location convenient to Hilton. I would definitely recommend over a stay at the ginormous Hilton. Tropics Ale House is practically in the complex for Happy Hour. No driving required! Nice for the easy meal when you don't feel like venturing out. Check www.vrbo.com to search for units.

Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
5. Re: Hilton Waikoloa vs Kings Land (kid-free trip)

I've looked at a few but they seemed out of date--so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I will check these ones out!

Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
6. Re: Hilton Waikoloa vs Kings Land (kid-free trip)

@free to wander, we will come a couple days before. The conference is only until 1 each day so we will have every afternoon / evening to play tourists. :)

Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
7. Re: Hilton Waikoloa vs Kings Land (kid-free trip)

It is hard to tell on some of these places exactly how far it is from the HWV...The conference starts at 7 every morning so I don't want to be far--close enough for him to walk would be amazing.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
1,184 reviews
8. Re: Hilton Waikoloa vs Kings Land (kid-free trip)

Vista Waikoloa is definitely walkable, my spouse did it both ways each day. It's really across the street. The Hilton is so huge it probably takes 10 minutes to arrive to conference area on foot.

California
Level Contributor
7,709 posts
52 reviews
9. Re: Hilton Waikoloa vs Kings Land (kid-free trip)

We've been to the Hilton with and without kids several times and have always enjoyed it. Plus we love the huge property for morning exercise. Yes it's not a Four Season's or Fairmont but still a nice hotel with beautiful grounds. Unless your looking for a higher-end hotel it's not worth changing especially if he needs to be there anyway.

As for the added costs, as bad as it is, all the hotels in Hawaii charge for parking and resort fee's. And before people take issue with the cost of food, it's no different then any resort, expensive and typical hotel food. Most people don't eat dinner at the hotel anyway so don't overly worry about dining.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
39 reviews
10. Re: Hilton Waikoloa vs Kings Land (kid-free trip)

Here's a map that shows the relative locations of the Hilton to other hotels and communities in Waikoloa Beach Resort. waikoloabeachresort.com/files/brochure-2017.… Kingsland and the Bay Club will have access to the Hilton shuttle that will take you to and from HWV. There is also the Waikoloa Resort shuttle which goes to the Hilton, the shops and a few other locations in the resort. Depending on where on the Hilton grounds the conference is, the closest communities are Hali'i Kai, The Bay Club, The Shores at Waikoloa, Vista Waikoloa, Kolea and the Marriiott. The Marriott is directly across the street from the Kings shops, so you can catch the resort shuttle from there.

Kingsland is probably the furthest community from HWV. It's off the map to the upper right. It's also the most likely to have lots of kids.

Reply to: Hilton Waikoloa vs Kings Land (kid-free trip)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted