We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Big Island on Dec 15-26 2018

San Baronto, Italy
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Visiting Big Island on Dec 15-26 2018

Hello,

we are a family of 5 and will travel to Big Island on Dec 15-26 this year.

Staying in Waikoloa Village seems like good option.

Looking at the forum posts it should be sunny there and beaches are near to reach by car.

I found in web a nice looking apartment at reasonable price to stay.

However it does not have air condition.

What is average day/night temperature in Waikoloa in December, will it be too hot inside without A/C?

Thanks for advises.

11 replies to this topic
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,864 posts
1. Re: Visiting Big Island on Dec 15-26 2018

You will get more replies if you post on the Island of Hawaii forum.

If you are asking about Waikoloa Village, be aware that this is above the coast. I would never book anywhere in Hawaii if the place had no air conditioning. Have you looked at the Mauna Lani resort -- maybe Vista Waikoloa?

Canada
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Visiting Big Island on Dec 15-26 2018

I have stayed in Waikoloa Village from January to March several times. The winter months are quite comfortable and we have had no need for AC there. Since you need to get into your car to try the different beaches nearby anyway, I haven’t had an issue with driving down the hill to the coast myself. Vai avanti, if this option suits your budget better.

If you decide to stay there, do try Pueo’s - a pretty decent osteria within walking distance, next to the local grocery store. (Pueo is the Hawaiian word for owl - associated with protection, in case you’re wondering...)

Make sure that you book your rental car now, as this is going to be a busy & expensive time for rental cars.

Try booking it through the Discount Hawaii car rental website - they are the broker that I use each time that I go.

https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

Prego.

Edited: 13 August 2018, 22:36
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
109 reviews
3. Re: Visiting Big Island on Dec 15-26 2018

I'd do fine without air conditioning at that time of year, but given the choice between Waikoloa Village or down by the coast, I'd prefer the latter. Can you share with us your nightly budget and/or a link to the property you're considering? Maybe we can help you with the lodging.

By the way, don't worry about re-posting on the Island of Hawaii forum. All of us reading that island-wide forum see this topic in the Waikoloa sub-forum, so no worries.

~ Colleen

San Baronto, Italy
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Visiting Big Island on Dec 15-26 2018

Thank you very much for your kind replies!

I think we'll choose to stay in Waikoloa Village house even if it does not have A/C.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,424 posts
5. Re: Visiting Big Island on Dec 15-26 2018

Do the reviews of that lodging mention any issues that time of year regarding lack of A/C?

San Baronto, Italy
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Visiting Big Island on Dec 15-26 2018

Thanks for your message.

Well, one guy who had stayed in June mentioned about the lack of A/C, but had still enjoyed living in the apartment.

The warmth it self during the day time is not that bad, actually that's what we are looking for on our vacation, but for us if it stays close to 30 C in the night inside it makes sleeping difficult.

We have experienced it this summer here at home.

We hope it is cool enough in December there, so we decided to stay in Waikoloa.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
5,635 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: Visiting Big Island on Dec 15-26 2018

It is a difficult question because different people require different things for comfort. Where I stay every year there is no air conditioning and it doesn’t bother me at all because the owner equips it with fans so maybe ask the owner if he/she provides fans. I have purchased fans at Walmart very inexpensively in the past when we’ve stayed without A/C and it makes a huge difference. At home, I like to sleep with the A/C on very cold temperature, but I sleep well without it in our oceanfront condo in Kailua Kona. Maybe the ocean breeze makes the difference?

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,027 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Visiting Big Island on Dec 15-26 2018

There’s no ocean breeze in Waikoloa Village. The nights are cool enough in the winter if you have a house. Condos are not built to do as well without A/C, unless it’s got cross drafts. A lot depends on the quality of the ceiling fans to push air. The cheap white fans are junk, so look to see if the fans are upgraded. Waikoloa Village can have brutally violent wind, so at times you can’t even have the windows open. A lot of variables.

I owned a house there, as did my son, so have had hundreds of sleeps there. The cool months are the only bearable time.

House rentals are illegal there. Some condos are legal and others not. You called it a house and an apartment, so it’s hard to tell, but if it’s an ohana apartment or a divided up house, that is illegal, and crackdowns do occur.

San Baronto, Italy
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Visiting Big Island on Dec 15-26 2018

Thank you all for your great advises.

I notice in the reservation confirmation that we have booked a "Condo".

Being a foreigner I have no clue what that means, how it is different from a house.

Nevertheless we have chosen it and are very much looking for our holiday.

Our girls are counting days. :)

Thanks again!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Visiting Big Island on Dec 15-26 2018

A condo is indeed an apartment, as you understand it. It’s an American-English term that is related more to the legal ownership structure of the apartment. The condo complexes in WV have good common spaces, like with a pool and outdoor BBQs.

I wish you and your family a very good vacation.

Reply to: Visiting Big Island on Dec 15-26 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted