We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

POA in Hilo

miami
Level Contributor
408 posts
12 reviews
POA in Hilo

It was just announced this morning that the POA will begin sailing to Hilo again starting this week. I will be on the next sailing and in Hilo on June 19th. Since VNP will not be open, what would you suggest? We are an active family with a 19 year old. I am thinking about a helicopter to see the volcano, but that will not take the whole day. What else can we do? Is there anything near the port?

19 replies to this topic
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
102 reviews
1. Re: POA in Hilo

Great news. Exciting for you and the island.

Here is a list from TripAdvisor of the top things to do around Hilo.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g605…

Please come back and share your experiences.

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,181 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: POA in Hilo

So... does that mean no tendering in Lahaina?

Puget Sound...
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
225 reviews
3. Re: POA in Hilo

Lahaina's on Maui. Not sure what you're asking.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 21:39
Puget Sound...
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
225 reviews
4. Re: POA in Hilo

Lahaina's on Maui. Not sure what you're asking.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 21:38
Iowa
Level Contributor
14,181 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: POA in Hilo

POA has announced an extra stop on Maui, in Lahaina Harbor and extra time in Kauai. This was since they weren’t stopping on Big Island at either Hilo or Kona. I’m just wondering if they will now skip Lahaina or if they’ll spend less time in Kauai since they’re reinstating the Hilo stop, but apparently not the Kona one.

Lahaina gets very busy on cruise ship days. Good for the merchants, but for other visitors, a pain.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 21:46
miami
Level Contributor
408 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: POA in Hilo

We are back to the original itinerary. We will not be stopping in Lahaina.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,957 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: POA in Hilo

It sounds like we all need to be light-on-our-feet! The situation is ... changeable.

So mom ... I would pull up the excursions originally offered by the ship and get some ideas. Also - check with NCL directly and ask what they have. (You may have already done this.)

Helicopters? I would be concerned with air quality ... others can chime in. I envision all of the helicopters being commandeered - but that's an assumption.

No, there is nothing within walking distance of the ship. Hilo is an industrial port.

SO - I would pull up the full Island of Hawaii Forum (you're on the Hilo sub-Forum) ... with a good map of the Big Island at hand. Scroll down ...

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kailua-Kona
Level Contributor
565 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: POA in Hilo

The helicopters are running now but we don't know what will be happening from day to day. Some of the helicopter companies have contracts with government agencies and they're shuttling them back and forth to different sites. They're also taking residents to survey their homes for free and helping the community in other ways.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
109 reviews
9. Re: POA in Hilo

I'm not a fan of the helicopter tourism and would bypass that even if the opportunity exists. I'd rent a car, drive up to Akaka Falls. Walk along the historic district of Hilo. Meander around Liliuokalani Park & Gardens. I'd still drive up to Volcano and check out the area, too. Not sure how much time you have in port, though.

~ Colleen

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,957 posts
19 reviews
10. Re: POA in Hilo

https://www.bigislandcandies.com

And if you have a car ... put this on the list!

Reply to: POA in Hilo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted