We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planing a 4320 miles trip

Miami,FL
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Planing a 4320 miles trip

Just saw on news a guy who drive his bike from Miami to San fransisco CA .I was thinking it should be fun , it give me the courage to plan this trip

Ok call me crazy but here it is the plan

Starting from MIami ,FL

1 stop - Gatlinburg, TN to see Great smoky Mountain ( plan to spend 2 days there )

2 stop- Of course Jackson Hole WY .. ( plan to spend 3 days , maybe 4 )

3 stop -Grand Canyon National Park AZ ( spend 2 days )

4 Stop -Death Valley National Park, Death Valley, CA ( 1 day)

Last stop - San fransisco CA ( 2 days )

I will drive a rent a car so way back to miami in a plane from CA

Of course this is only the main trip , Im sure that I will need to make extra stops to sleep on the way .

Any advise on which other place to included on the way ?

I will like to included a nice stop between the long way from TN to WY

Im counting with 2 weeks for this trip , ... 9-10 days for the stops and another 4 o 5 for driving without hurry ...

Planing the trip for the end of august

What do you think

OH BTW IM posting here cause I know this forum from long ago so I felt more comfortable

Thanks in advance for replays

Miami,FL
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planing a 4320 miles trip

I forgot to included Yosemite CA ( 1 day between death valley and san fransisco )

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,244 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planing a 4320 miles trip

I can't imagine that trip without 3 days in Yellowstone. Happy Trails :)

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,868 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planing a 4320 miles trip

MiamiBest, you really, really, really should post on the road trip forum. They are really nice folks and some who post here are mainstays there. (Our own Peachbelle plus Tet and Valiantsontour)

My gut feeling is that 2 weeks is not long enough if you jog up to Jackson (and Yellowstone!!). You might make it if you just went straight across on I10 and I40. It's 1850 or so miles just from Gatlinburg to Jackson, so that is 3 full days of driving if you don't stop by and do Mt Rushmore, Badlands, Devil's Tower and some of those sights.

You will also want to check what drop off charges for the rental car will be in SF before you get too far in your planning.

Do you have any flexibility in the time you can be gone? It would be a fabulous trip, if you can take the time to do it.

Pam

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planing a 4320 miles trip

Here's the link to the Road Trips forum that D0bby mentioned:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

I think that you will find a lot of help in that forum for planning your excursion.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,734 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planing a 4320 miles trip

hmm-- Nebraska- Missouri- plains states that we drove thru asap. Nothing pops to mind for places to see along the way from Gatlinburg to Jackson. We find the plains states very boring as far as the scenery and plan our trips to just get thru them quickly. Spend our time once we are further west. You've been to YNP, I presume?

Between Jackson Hole and the GC, you'll be going right past Zion and Bryce. Both beautiful! and directly thru Page. Antelope Canyon there and Lake Powell.

We've done several 5000+ mile road trips in the last several years. Round trip from central Ohio-- we do that in 2 and 1/2 weeks, so.... your trip in miles and time is definitely doable, but you do have to enjoy being on the road :)

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
574 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planing a 4320 miles trip

St Louis might be a stop for you to ride up in the arch tour the Budweiser brewery. Or Kansas city you can stop in for BBQ , the Harry Truman library and the historical traiheads for the old westward wagon trains and pony express.

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
574 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planing a 4320 miles trip

St Louis might be a stop for you to ride up in the arch tour the Budweiser brewery. Or Kansas city you can stop in for BBQ , the Harry Truman library and the historical traiheads for the old westward wagon trains and pony express.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,225 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planing a 4320 miles trip

Definitely post to Road Trip forum. Also check on the rental car costs. That's a significant one-way rental and it may or may not be possible at a reasonable rate.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planing a 4320 miles trip

It's doable, a bit much for two weeks, three would be better. However, if you just focus on the main attractions and just drive the miles in between it's not that bad. I find 4000 miles and three weeks to be a good match... two weeks and 3000 etc. Of course this depends on how many stops and how long for each.

Agree with the stop in St Louis and that breaks up your mid section drive.

Miami,FL
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planing a 4320 miles trip

tHANK you everyone for the advises ... I will post on the trip forum ,

thbergs : you right yellowstone is a must , I was there this winter and planing for next year to take my daughter however 2-3 days there are always good spend it .

Pam : I will check Mt Rushmore, Badlands, Devil's Tower online to see if we can added to the trip ... Time flexibility isn't so easy when you have a daughter in school ... I have to take the vacation time which is some way limited . But I will be able to add couple days more if needed ... Car rental here wont charge you for the miles but yes it is a good idea to double check

OhioHick : thank you for the link , I will post there for more info

wings1980: We do enjoy the road for sure we really enjoy to travel , actually after reading you cover a few 5000 miles last year I felt a little envy ( thegood one) .

Yes I was in YSNP this winter but Im planing to go there at least once in summer I will check those places , for extra stops or replace some stops ( I may replace death valley for another place ) .... Thank you for the info

Gwenbry : Kansas for a BBQ is a must ( we see travel channel and dream about food in Kansas ) ... If time allows me I will stop around for a great food

TumbleweedandCactus: as the second person who told me that I will for sure call the Car rental to check their miles policy ... I've understand they wont charge you for miles - no matter how many however maybe a different story when you return the car 4000 miles away ... I will post asa talk with them .

I will love to do the trip with my own car but inst an option as we will spend more gas than the shutter to the space

wanderer05: I wish we can spend more time but taking the last weeks of school vacations will allow me only 2 weeks and maybe a couple days more ... If too short I will remove a stop or a day some where .

Also as a positive point . My work make me drive 200-300 miles a day and my wife love to drive long distances ( btw she is better driver than me)

I will look for more info on St Louis to include it

Thank you everyone ... I will post on the trip forum and keep this one update once the trip comes closer ...

Edited: 27 April 2012, 09:05