We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve in the Dells

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Eve in the Dells

We are looking to spend the days prior to and including New Year's Eve in the Dells. What resort water parks are open to the public besides Kalahari? Are horse rides available this time of year? What kid friendly parties are there New Year's Eve? Where are good places to go sledding?

Thanks for any help.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve in the Dells

Also, where can we rent snowmobiles in the Dells? I see that there are trails in the area.

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve in the Dells

Kalahari and Wilderness both sell day passes to the general public -- but you might want to look at what some other resorts may have planned for NYE and see if you can stay at one that has family activities. I know that in the past Polynesisan, Chula Vista, Kalahari, Great Wolf and Wilderness have offered family / kids parties for their hotel guests. Outside of the hotels, the parties are pretty much for adults, unless perhaps Rick Wilcox does a special magic show.

There's really no place in the Dells to go sledding that I know of. Christmas Mountain, Cascase Mountain (between the dells and Portage) and Devils Head (near Baraboo) offer skiing and tubing.

Not sure who rents snowmobiles in the Dells. You might be better off renting at home and towing -- even for a couple of days extra the rate might be cheaper.

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Eve in the Dells

It's been a few years but I took my grandaughter sledding in Devil's Lake Park. The area was down low but had several high hills around the area. It was high enough to scare me going down and I'm not a wuss. There was a bathroom facility at the bottom somewhere although it was closed. Also some hardy Swedish campers had a tent near the area. It was fun and the only sledding place we found after driving around the Dells for a while. Hope that helps and hope there's snow for you. We're going up the 2nd for the weekend and I'd like snow, my hubby wouldn't..........Have a great holiday.......Donna

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Eve in the Dells

I don't think horseback riding will be an option (danger with snow and ice on the trails, etc), but there are horse-drawn wagon rides in the winter at a few places.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Eve in the Dells

Thanks for all the info. I was under the impression that some of the horse riding places were open in the winter for trail rides.

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Eve in the Dells

I might be wrong about the horses -- but I think a lot of it depends on the weather. There is one stable I drive past often on 16 that looks pretty empty right now. But if you hit a warm weekend, it might be worth a couple calls while you are here.

7. Re: New Year's Eve in the Dells

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 16:56