We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wilderness or Kalahari?? Kids are boys 6, 7 & 5 months.

1 post
Save Topic
Wilderness or Kalahari?? Kids are boys 6, 7 & 5 months.

August 20-24th ! Just curious which is better option. I have looked into both websites but only show kalahari just has the surf option thing over wilderness.

Best pick & why ! Please !

2 replies to this topic
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
836 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wilderness or Kalahari?? Kids are boys 6, 7 & 5 months.

We prefer the Wilderness. It is more spread out so it feels less crowded. Wilderness has more outdoor areas than the Kalahari. We like the big indoor wave pool at the Wilderness.

Wilderness on the Lake has 2 and 3 bedroom villas. Part of the Wilderness Resort. It’s a pretty location overlooking Lake Delton. The indoor area is nice for younger kids. Outdoor pool is never overcrowded. It’s a nice break from the busier areas of the Wilderness.

Mentioned in this post
Wilderness Resort
Wilderness Resort
3,170 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Wilderness on the Lake
Wilderness on the Lake
461 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
49 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wilderness or Kalahari?? Kids are boys 6, 7 & 5 months.

Much like Jules, my family tends to prefer/favor Wilderness over Kalahari.

We like that the Wilderness has multiple 'smaller' areas spread across their resort, which helps disperse the activities and by extension the crowds of people. You get a bit more space between everybody, and the individual locations are smaller so you can more easily keep an eye on kids while giving them some space to play.

The downside to the Wilderness is that you're walking a lot more to go from one thing to another (or potentially breaking up your group). Kalahari is fairly centrally located with their stuff, so most everything (and everyone) is all in one big area. However, you are much closer to all the activities and don't have to divide up your group as much when somebody wants to do something different.

Having said all of the above, I tended to favor the Great Wolf Lodge when my daughters were younger. Another good lodge with an indoor water park, which is geared to the <10 y/o kids. With two younger boys and a 5-month-old, GWL might be worth looking at as well if you haven't already.

Mentioned in this post
Wilderness Resort
Wilderness Resort
3,170 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
4,090 Reviews
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Reply to: Wilderness or Kalahari?? Kids are boys 6, 7 & 5 months.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted