We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??

We have stayed in Egg Harbor and Sister Bay but I have found a great place for our family is Sturgeon Bay. Any thoughts on that town? We've never been and I want to be sure it's worth being away from the main action of Fish Creek etc.? So I am looking to see if those who are dedicated to Sturgeon Bay could tell me more about ti! Thanks!!

11 replies to this topic
Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??

** full disclosure- I am now the owner of Foxglove Inn in Sturgeon Bay, so you can't get more dedicated to SB than that. However, for the past 35 years prior, we've been visiting DC and bypassing Sturgeon Bay as many people do, so I feel qualified to answer both as a tourist and now as someone who lives in SB year round.

It does have a different feel than the other towns, with it's Historic 3rd Avenue. Actually, each little town has their own unique atmosphere. Sturgeon Bay is deeply connected to and proud of it's maritime involvement and has a wonderfully done waterfront. An easy and lovely drive to all points North, you call enjoy all the "action" Door County has to offer and return to a less "touristy" place in the evening where everything on "mainstreet" is walkable and the only traffic occurs when the bridges go up - dinner without reservations or wait times (eat at 136!), shops, theater, museums, coffee houses, parks & beaches. Yes, it may be 40 minutes to Sister Bay, but that is going through Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, Ephriam along the way. Chances are it will take you longer because you'll see something that you will want to stop for. It also offers more availability and affordability.

It really depends on what you are looking for, but don't dismiss this quaint little town. It has a lot to offer. It's also wonderful in the off-season.

Reply to: Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sturgeon Bay