We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??

We have stayed in Egg Harbor and Sister Bay but I have found a great place for our family is Sturgeon Bay. Any thoughts on that town? We've never been and I want to be sure it's worth being away from the main action of Fish Creek etc.? So I am looking to see if those who are dedicated to Sturgeon Bay could tell me more about ti! Thanks!!

11 replies to this topic
Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
319 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??

Sturgeon Bay is awesome. Give it a chance, and like many of us, you may not travel farther north during summer.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
963 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??

You are so close to all of the other parts of the Peninsula, and you have access to everything - big grocery store and Walmart, a theater, good restaurants, and a charming downtown. It's not as crowded. You can check out all of the little parks and drive up the county roads to get to the "action", rather than the busy State Hwys.

I always stay in Sturgeon Bay when I go up during the summer. It is very quiet, and you can always find places there you can be absolutely alone and enjoy the beauty of the Lake or the Bay.

Try it, and let us know how you felt about it. It is different from Up North, and some people prefer it.

Have a wonderful trip!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
342 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??

Absolutely. We love staying in Sturgeon Bay. We head up in June for the Steel Bridge Festival, and get at least two other trips in during the summer and fall.

We stay at the Bay Shore Inn. http://bayshoreinn.net/ A very nice property just a short drive from downtown Sturgeon Bay, or Egg Harbor.

While there is plenty to see and do in Sturgeon Bay, it is also a great home base for all that the peninsula offers.

Defiantly worth while.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,633 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??

There was another similar thread a little while ago. Sorry, but I really disagree with the posters here. We've been coming to DC at least once, often twice a year for about 12 years. We had to stay in Sturgeon Bay a few weeks ago for a family event rather than our usual Egg Harbor/Sister Bay/Ephraim choices and we'd not do it again.

The first problem is the distance to the rest of the Door. Even when we're in Egg Harbor, it's a bit of a drive to the rest of the area, but not a real detriment. This time, we drove to Sister Bay, Simon Creek, Egg Harbor etc. from SB and we really regretted the additional drive time. SB also doesn't have the feel of the other DC locations--it's more like a typical WI community. It's got some interesting things to see and do, but not the vibe of either the lively Fish Creek or quiet beauty of Bailey's Harbor. To each their own, but the rest of the group also agreed they much prefer being further north.

OK Hawkhoos, I thought I was going crazy! Now I realize you posted in both DC and SB forums. Since I posted in the other forum, we've come back from our three days there. On the last day, we did drive around to see more of Sturgeon Bay. We saw the shipyards, some neighborhoods, a very nice park and one small area that felt like the shops in other Door County communities. I even brought this topic up with other family members who are DC regulars. They also would stay further north. In fact, we'll be back there in another month.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??

Thank you so much for the tips!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??

I have to second FTG's thoughts. Although I like Sturgeon Bay, I don't think it has the same "vacation-y" vibe as the small communities on the peninsula. Sturgeon Bay feels like a very small Midwestern city to me. I prefer to stay on the peninsula -- anywhere between Egg Harbor and Sister Bay -- and I drive to Sturgeon Bay for groceries, to do some shopping or eat at a certain restaurant, to go to the museums, etc. To stay within Sturgeon Bay's city limits would not seem like enough of a getaway for me. And, as noted, Sturgeon Bay is at least a half hour's drive from anything further north on the peninsula, so if that's where you'll be spending most of your vacation, it's not too convenient.

As others have mentioned, there are areas outside of Sturgeon Bay that still have a Sturgeon Bay mailing address, though, that have a completely different feel -- the Glidden resort, for example, or the "Little Harbor" area and other spots along County B between downtown Sturgeon Bay and Egg Harbor.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,633 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??

Maenad, why not use the grocery store in Egg Harbor? It's tucked away near the shops around the Cupola shop. I actually didn't believe the GPS when it told us how long the drive would be from Fish Creek to the AmericInn, I think it was 40 minutes.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??

Hi FTG! I do shop at the Main Street Market (Egg Harbor grocery store) when I need to run out and get something quickly -- and I also sometimes go to the Piggly Wiggly in Sister Bay if I'm staying near there -- but the prices at those stores are higher than at the Pick 'n' Save in Sturgeon Bay. So for my "big grocery run" of the week I usually hit the Pick 'n' Save. I have three kids who are at the age where they seem to inhale food, so I have to keep my fridge fully stocked ;) And I usually find myself having to go to Target or Walmart in Sturgeon Bay anyway, because someone inevitably forgets to pack a swimsuit, beach towel, underwear, socks, or what have you.

I'm heading to Door County in 3 weeks for my summer vacation -- can't wait! Just had dinner at California Pizza Kitchen last night and thought to myself, "Wild Tomato in Fish Creek is better than this."

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,633 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??

Now I understand why you'll shop there. We just do three day trips so I keep things simple. I tend to stock up on the important things, like bakery, chocolate and wine!

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??

Try Baileys Harbor, quiet side and only 10 minutes to any of the other towns.

Reply to: Sturgeon Bay - worth being away from the "action"??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sturgeon Bay