We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sturgeon Bay Beaches in July

Wheeling, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Sturgeon Bay Beaches in July

I have a trip planned to stay at Glidden Lodge in Sturgeon Bay toward the middle of July. We have never been to door county and the website looked nice. But now my husband came across an older review on "yelp" from July 2013 about the water being full of dead alewives fish!!! Is this an actual problem at this time of year?? Should I worry??

Any info would be great! Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sturgeon Bay Beaches in July

I'm not sure that alewive dieoffs can be predicted.

I do know that not all beaches are affected. I think the bayside beaches are less impacted by alewives. If your beach has too may alewives or floating vegetation, you are a short drive from one that will be cleaner.

Also, recent years are nothing like the huge alewife dieoffs in the 1960s.

If you are really into beaches, take a look at the book "Door County Outdoors" by Magill Weber. It has detailed information about getting to all sorts of southern Door County beaches that are not in other guidebooks or internet sites.

Wheeling, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sturgeon Bay Beaches in July

Thanks for the info.

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sturgeon Bay Beaches in July

I've never really thought about Sturgeon Bay as a location for beaches, although I'm sure there are some. Beaches will be found in the villages and state parks in the north county. Egg Harbor has a great beach, and Nicolet Bay in Peninsula State Park is also nice. Each community has a beach up and down the peninsula.

Alewives are not predictable, but I've never had a complaint or comment from any guest.

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
257 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sturgeon Bay Beaches in July

Alewives should not be a problem this year (you should have been here in the 70's!). This year, the COLD water temp. on the lake is the problem for swimmers.

Wheeling, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sturgeon Bay Beaches in July

Thanks! Looking forward to coming up and seeing door county!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,113 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sturgeon Bay Beaches in July

i noticed a fair number of them when riding the badger 2 weeks ago---many floating several miles out from manitowoc... also, last weekend, saw more than usual along the coast between keewaunee and sheboygan...

read on............

jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/not-as-bad-as-th…

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
342 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sturgeon Bay Beaches in July

The Glidden has quite a bit of shoreline... they no doubt groom it. But, call and ask. The Glidden is also located just south of Whitefish Dunes and Cave Point. The beach at Whitefish Dunes is amazing. The rocky shoreline and cliffs at Cave Point are, too.

Also try to get a reservation at Donny's Glidden Lodge next door the Glidden. Good food, and breathtaking views. The building itself is historically significant and interesting.

Reply to: Sturgeon Bay Beaches in July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sturgeon Bay