We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a little help to understand the bus system

darwin
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need a little help to understand the bus system

Husband and I are coming to milwaukee in mid July. Unfortantly only 1 day.

We arrvie at 2pm amtrak from seattle( as long as no delays)

Book into hotel and go for walk, find something to eat drink relax.

staying at Bestwestern Towne inn. ( heard it is close to everything)

Next day, Get up early go for walk to Discovery centre and get breakfast on the way. SUGESTIONS ???

Spend an hour or 2 at Discovery centre 9-10:45 ish,

Get a bus back to hotel WHICH BUS LINE is it 31 or do a lot run up Wisconsin AVe or Wells street?

Book out of hotel, (They will hold bags)

Get Taxi to Miller Brewery, Have some beer and a look around.

2:00 Get Bus back to Lakefront Brewery WHICH BUS??

Do tour at 3pm

4:30 get bus back to Hotel collect bags and get taxi to Lakeexpress ferrry terminal,

7:00 Go to Muskegon.

Is this doable? and any suggestions with transport.

Dont mind catching buses. As long as I can work out the route first so I know where I am going.

We are 35-40 and will have been sitting on atrain for 2 days so wont mind a full on day.

Any help appreciated.

Like any food, thought maybe should try some German with our Beer.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a little help to understand the bus system

Yes the 31 runs on Wisconsin Av and it is the bus you could take to Miller, it goes within a block of the Brewery(time permitting). If you need to stop off at the hotel between Discovery World and going to the Brewery ask for a transfer. It is good for 40 minutes and will get you back on the bus. If you are up to it you could walk from Discovery World back to the Best Western. Its what I call a short mile. Discovery world is down on the lake, by the time you walk up to Wis Ave you might as well keep walking to the hotel. (Discovery World is closed on Mondays)

During the summer there is a "trolley" service. This is free, runs every 20 minutes or so and goes right by the Discovery World. The only thing is it does a loop so you would need to find out the route and find the stop closest to your hotel.

After the Miller Brewery tour you probably need to take the 31 (or taxi)back to the downtown area. Catch the #15 on the corner of Wisconsin and Water. Take it north on Water St. I am not sure on the stop you get off on. Possibly Pleasant, or maybe Humboldt. Either way you will have to walk a few blocks to Lakefront.

The day you have planned sounds jamed packed, but I think it is doable. Keep in mind that the tour at Miller is about 1- 1'1/2 hours long.

The taxi ride to Lake Express should only take 20 minutes.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a little help to understand the bus system

One more thing about the free Trolley, it only runs Wed-Sat.

And if you are going to taxi from Miller Brewery you might as well take the to Lakefront Brewery. No need to go back downtown to take a bus. Maybe someone else know which bus you could take right from brewery to brewery with out having to go back downtown.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,024 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a little help to understand the bus system

Sounds like you have done some good research before asking your questions. I like that.

For dinner you might consider Mader's for German food. It is about 3 blocks north of the BW on the same street, Old World 3rd street. There are also several bars in the area in case you want to stop for an after dinner drink.

For breakfast you could go to George Webbs, which is a Milwaukee tradition. There is a Webbs just one block north of the BW on 3rd street. Webbs is a Milwaukee tradition, but it is very modest, basic bacon and eggs type breakfast.

If you want a nicer place for breakfast I suggest the Cafe on the main floor of the Pfister hotel. As you walk toward Discovery World you will pass the Pfister on Wisconsin AV about 6 blocks east of 3rd street.

Even if you decide to pass on breakfast at the Pfister it is a beautiful classic hotel and I suggest you take a few minutes to duck inside and peak at the lobby.

If you like old architecture the Federal Courthouse building directly across from the Pfister is also worth a few minute walk around. Of course you have to pass thru security, but it is a beautiful public building and has some interesting artwork on the walls too.

For lunch, if you are in the area of your hotel to check out you might consider just going across Wisconsin Av to the Grand Ave Mall. There is a food court on the 3rd floor directly above the 3rd street entrance to the mall.

It might be tight to get to Miller Brewery and Lakefront for tours. I don't think they will give you a drink unless you complete the tour, not really sure about lakefront, but I am almost positive at Miller you can't get into the tasting room without taking the tour.

The problem with buses on a tight schedule is you may spend as much time waiting for a bus as riding. Have you checked the bus website

www.ridemcts.com? There are route maps and schedules. I believe the # 10 runs down Wisconsin Ave in addition to the 31.

As absmry said transfers are good for a time frame, regardless of the direction you are riding, so make sure you ask for a transfer if there is a chance you will be getting on another bus soon.

darwin
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a little help to understand the bus system

thank you for the wonderful info, I have taken more notes. Like the breakfast requests, and Ferderal court building. and bus info

I will be in Milwaukee on a Tuesday, dam about the Trolley.

A couple more questions

Is milwaukee hilly? If it is reliatively flat I dont mind walking a lot. ( Not looking forward to the hills of San Fran and Seattle)

Does anybody reckomend Rock Bottom Rest and Micro Brewery for dinner the first night, Not worried if the food is avearge, more interested in the Beer and atmosphere.

We will also check out the Grand Ave Mall the first afternoon ( if we get in early enough) What time does it open till?

Do you need to book taxi for the trip to the Ferry terminal? Want to cut it fine but dont wont to miss it. Planing on being at terminal around 5:45 for check in of luggage and boarding at 7pm.

I have checked out the bus route and timetable just find it a little hard to work out. Will have another look now at the routes you suggested.

I am now tossing up do I go to Millers Brewery? Do they not have a bar there that you can buy beer at and read some history or info.as I did realise I would be pushing it for both tours?

Thanks again

Rhonda

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,024 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a little help to understand the bus system

I will find out for you if you can have a beer at Miller without doing the entire tour. I will post back again here after I get an answer for you.

Milwaukee is not real hilly. It is somewhat uphill to Discovery World, but nothing like San Francisco. My suggestion for San Francisco is to get a bus pass and use it for even a few blocks in the steepest areas. Walk all you want around Fisherman's Wharf where it's flat. I am a good walker, but San Francisco hills beat me every time.

I hope you are using Trip Advisor for help in San Francisco. It was a great help to me. I found some free walking tours that were informative and fun.

Getting back to Milwaukee. Rock Bottom would be decent for dinner. I prefer the Water Street Brewery personally and there is also the Milwaukee Ale House, all walkable from the BW.

The hotel will be able to call a taxi to get you to the Ferry terminal. Taxis usually sit at the Hyatt hotel a block from the BW.

Write back if you have specific questions with the bus routes. I am sure someone here can figure it out.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,024 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a little help to understand the bus system

I hope this is not a duplicate post, I responded, but maybe forgot to click submit.

Milwaukee is not very hilly. It is somewhat uphill to the Discovery World, but not bad and certainly nothing like San Francisco.

I hope you have been using Trip Advisor for San Francisco info. I found some free walking tours that were informative and fun. I suggest you get a bus pass in San Francisco and use it for even a few blocks in the steepest areas.

Getting back to Milwaukee the Rock Bottom would be okay for dinner. I actually prefer the Water Street Brewery. The Milwaukee Ale House is another option for a downtown brew pub and dinner.

I do not believe Miller Brewery has a bar other than the free tasting room for after tours. I will find out for sure and post again when I get an answer.

The Grand Ave Mall is not a great shopping mall and most stores close by 7:00, I think. You may enjoy walking through it.

The hotel should be able to call a taxi for you. Taxis usually sit at the Hyatt hotel and Hilton, but you will be able to get one in a few minutes at the BW.

If you have specific questions about the bus routes please ask, I am sure someone here can help you.

Edited: 25 March 2010, 09:42
darwin
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a little help to understand the bus system

Thank you Przk, I will do a bit more research on the other bar/breweries, and anything eles and will get back to you soon. If yourself and absmry are anything to go by, I am going to like Milwaukee and its friendly people. You both have been given me useful info and seem very friendly and willing to help.

Thanks again

Yes I have used a few other tripadvisor forums, some have delivered info some have not.

We are going to San diego, than vegas, seattle train to Milwaukee, Lansing

NY, washington and San Fran in just over 5 weeks.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,024 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a little help to understand the bus system

What a wonderful trip you have planned.

I called the Miller Brewery tour office and they said no one is allowed in the tasting room until they finish the tour. The tour is one hour long. With wait time before the tour and tasting realistically you would probably need to allow two hours.

I was told they don't have a bar selling beer because they don't want to compete with local merchants.

If you decide to forgo Miller Brewery you might want to stop in the Miller Time Pub in the Hilton Hotel to sample Miller products in the next best place to being at the brewery.

One more thought about beer. There are hundreds of microbrews available here. One of my favorites is called Spotted Cow made by the New Glarus Brewery. it is a popular one, so it is available at a lot of bars in Milwaukee.

9. Re: Need a little help to understand the bus system

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2010, 10:48