We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Green Bay in December

East Drayton, MN
3 posts
Save Topic
Green Bay in December

My husband and I have tickets to the Packers vs Vikings football game on December 2. We have never spent any time in the area. We will be spending a couple nights in Green Bay. We would like a hotel with great amenities, near the stadium if possible. The price isn't such a big deal as this trip is kind of a 'bucket list' item for us. We want to make sure we enjoy our stay. Also, what else is there to do in the area in December? Not exactly lake swimming weather. I would really appreciate any advice...

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,779 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Green Bay in December

The Packer hall of fame is fun. The Brown County Museum, is pretty good, IIRC.

Although I haven't stayed there, the Aloft properties tend to be quite nice.

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Green Bay in December

Probably won't find a local hotel for under $400. Hotels sell-out 6 months before. My suggestion: Best western in Manitowoc (40 miles southeast) next to the Wisconsin Maritime Museum. Good Luck!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Green Bay in December

Robred may be overstating a bit as far as price and availability, but it IS best to look ASAP. Manitowoc, Oshkosh, Appleton are all possibilities or ever as far south at Sheboygan or north towards Sturgeon Bay. Are you familiar with the midwest in December? Your community/location name doesn't say much.

It will be anywhere from cold to REALLY cold and snow. USUALLY.... early December isn't bad. But yes the Packer Hall of Fame can take several hours, there's a nice museum downtown. Check out the older posts. You could even drive to Door County. There's less to do during winter but it's a beautiful area.

You'll probably want advice about experiencing game day also i.e. clothes, tailgating etc.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Green Bay in December

Door County is nearby for some scenic winter driving.

www.doorcounty.com

The National Railroad Museum is a great feature of Green Bay:

www.nationalrrmuseum.org/en-us/default.aspx

http://www.baybeachwildlife.com/ This is a nice FREE nature sanctuary and it has winter hours.

http://www.greenbay.com/ more info. here

Green Bay December events:

www.greenbay.com/visit_us/events/?d=2012-12

www.gbbg.org/things-to-do/garden-events/id/35

http://www.gbbg.org/#

Edited: 24 September 2012, 18:20
East Drayton, MN
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Green Bay in December

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! We are from north west Minnesota, so the weather won't be a surprise. I had looked into driving up into Door county, just wasn't sure what else to see. If there are any locals or frequent visitors to the Green Bay Area, I would appreciate the names of any of your favorite local restaurants or shops.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
331 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Green Bay in December

I lived in the Green Bay area for several years and now live in MN and travel there for work. Every time I go, I make sure to eat at Titletown Brewing Company which is downtown along the river. Another great place to eat is Victoria's (Italian) but it is a bit out of Green Bay towards Door County. If you are looking for fast food type places, Krolls is awesome.

I would agree that Door County is a nice trip - even in December. There are several wineries and state parks to stop at.

If you are looking for shopping, Appleton has a nice mall and shopping area.

East Drayton, MN
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Green Bay in December

Thank you! That is exactly the type of info I am looking for!

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Green Bay in December

http://www.greenbay.com/visit_us/dining/

Hinterland is another brew place to dine at.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Green Bay in December

Titletown Brewery is right across from their museum and starts a walking tour about Packer History. That may be a bit more inviting on a beautiful fall day, but we found even reading the little bit they had out on the Museum property very interesting. Look for plaques on the restaurant property also.

Hinterlands restaurant is near there also, very nice, more expensive. We also like Z Harvest Cafe (not downtown, closer to UWGB) and Cafe Espresso, a cute little Italian restaurant/coffee place. Of course you can also just eat at the Lambeau area.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
422 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Green Bay in December

Victorias is a great place to eat, just 10 minutes from downtown Green Bay. Also, you could look into Hagemeister Park, Fox Harbor Pub, Republic Chophouse, & Grapevine Cafe. If you end up going to Door County, you could eat at Casey's BBQ, I think it's in Egg Harbor. I try to go at least once a year.

Once you figure out where you will be staying, let us know and I'm sure you'll get a few more choices of places to eat!

Get answers to your questions about Green Bay
Recent Conversations