We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussies in GB for Packers vs Cardinals!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Aussies in GB for Packers vs Cardinals!

Hi All

I know a lot of previous topics have probably discussed these things but I guess I'm just after any updates...

My wife and I are heading to Green Bay to visit the Hall of Fame and watch the Packers beat the Cardinals!

This is our first NFL game ever and first time in Green Bay...USA for that matter. This is the part of our honeymoon that I'm looking forward to the most!!! Not only for the football but to meet locals/enjoy the tailgaiting.

We arrive the day before the game (3 November) at about midday and we are staying on Main Street.

Ok so here goes...

1) Would it be easy to catch transport to the from Main Street? I see that Green Bay metro offers free transport through that area, is it recommended? or should we drive and park in a nearby carpark?

2) I've heard the weather might be cool, are we allowed to take a blanket in with us?...My wife doesn't handle the cold very well :oP We are looking at tickets in section 124 (hoping that's a good spot!).

3) We are heading back to Chicago later that afternoon/evening. Are most hotels happy to hold onto belongings until you return from the game? Are the roads ok by 6pm-7pm?

4) Is it easy to be involved in tailgaiting? We don't want to interupt or do the wrong thing and upset someone.

5) Good places for a few beverages and a meal the night before?

Thanks in advance for any advice! GO PACK GO!

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
584 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussies in GB for Packers vs Cardinals!

You can bring a blanket sometimes you might want 2 - one to set on the cold bench seat and one to put over you. The roads will clear up in an hour or 2 no problem. Most tailgaters are very friendly. If you just yell out. First packer game all the way from Australia I bet you will Get invited to a couple. We are going to the game and will be tailgating. I will send you a private message so you can meet up with our group

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,463 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussies in GB for Packers vs Cardinals!

If your wife does not handle cold very well, she could be in for a real world of hurt. You might want to invest in cold weather pac boots, heavy socks, and disposable heating pads for your hands and feet. MIlls Fleet Farm will set you up.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
422 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussies in GB for Packers vs Cardinals!

Answer to question #1 - It would probably be easier to drive over to Lambeau and park on a side street in one of the nieghborhoods. I usually park on Liberty St., which is about 4-5 blocks north of the stadium. It is free to park on the street. Otherwise, many of the homes by Lambeau will charge you to park on their lawn. You would be able to get closer to the stadium, but you are also paying for the convenience.

Answer to question #2 - See above answer and put your stuff in the car. Then you have it with you and can leave Green Bay when the game is done instead of going back to your hotel.

Answer to question #5 - You say that you are staying in Main St. Are you staying at the Hyatt? If so, there is a pub/dining place just off the lobby area that offers dinner and it's pretty good. Some other options in the Main St. area are Hagemeister Park & Fox Harbor. They are both on Washington St. along the Fox River. I've been to both and they each have good things about them. The atmosphere is fun and the food is tasty and decent priced. If you are looking for something very elegant, try Republic Chophouse. It is also in the same area just 1-2 blocks East of Washington St. The steaks are amazing and price is amazingly high.

Overall have fun and enjoy yourselves. And if you can make dinner reservations, do it! :)

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussies in GB for Packers vs Cardinals!

I couldn't agree more with smurf ;) everything he said is right on.

Have a good time - I know you will enjoy it! Itd be interesting to see you write back after and let us know how it went and what you did!

Have fun!!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,633 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussies in GB for Packers vs Cardinals!

Howdy Aussies! My hubby will be at that game too (we have season tickets). Be prepared for the cold, not cool. The temps should be above freezing, but at that time of year in WI, for being outside that long I'd be wearing a heavy winter jacket, hat and mittens. Dress in layers if she doesn't have a heavy jacket--maybe a turtle neck sweater, long sleeved t shirt, sweatshirt, then a windbreaker. Yes, check out, put your things in the car and park near Lambeau Stadium.

You'll be siting on bare metal bleachers, so try to rent the padded seats with seat backs for $6.00 each. You'll be so glad you did. As far as eating, I like the tip about telling people (or make a sign even) about first time Aussies and meeting people. A few years ago Harley Davidson Motorcycle had their big anniversary and people from all around the world came to WI. We live a a bit from Milwaukee (HD's home) but got to meet some Aussies who gave us a little metal kangaroo pin-I still have it on my bulletin board.

There are plenty of places to grab something to eat otherwise. There's the Tundra Zone Tailgate on the east side of the station. Per Hubby, good drinks but get a brat (bratwurst sausage) and avoid the cheese steak.

Get over to the stadium the day you arrive and see everything that day. After the game, you'll have pretty heavy traffic back towards Chicago. Many of the ticket holders will be from the Milwaukee area (I'll give you the Packer history if you wish) so be prepared for a longer than usual drive.

Congrats on the honeymoon. OH! Of course you want those close to be Green and Gold, Go Pack!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussies in GB for Packers vs Cardinals!

Thanks for all the info guys! Really appreciate it! Gwenbry, that sounds like a plan for sure!

I wasn't sure if all our valuables would be fine left in our car so thanks!

Looking into Mills Fleet Farm and other clothing stores too :o) ..my wife is already looking forward to the clothes shopping...oh dear.

We've just got our tickets in Section 122!! Wahooo!

The padded seats definitely sound like a smart investment for the game!

Gotta try a brat!!

Not long now! Getting very excited!

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
584 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussies in GB for Packers vs Cardinals!

We met up with Mr and Mrs AussieKiwi at the tailgate today. We were at Sarnac glove company lots a good option for folks who want to reserve ahead online and for groups. They enjoyed our Wisconsin fare of brats and beer jello shots and cheese curds. Decent weather and a good game helped a lot too.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Gwenbry

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussies in GB for Packers vs Cardinals!

Wow! What an amazing experience that was!

Thanks so very much Gwenbry for your hospitality..you guys truly made our trip to Green Bay something we will never forget.

Definitely glad we got some advice regarding the weather. It was a very chilly day! Not so bad without the wind though.

The game was brilliant. All seats in the stadium appear to have a good view of everything. We were behind the Packers sideline.

We bought a blanket and sat on that instead of renting the padded seats, worked out well.

Curlys was also a good option for dinner the night before...and spent a small fortune at the packers pro shop :o)

Thanks again Gwenbry!!! :o)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aussies in GB for Packers vs Cardinals!

I'm so happy that you had a great time at the game and with the entire Lambeau Field experience. Nothing like it!

Have continued safe travels.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,633 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aussies in GB for Packers vs Cardinals!

Oh, I forgot all about you being there! DH and my nephew were there for this game. Funny, I was telling family from Phoenix and Atlanta that it was a really nice day, not too cold at all!! Good thing you came in early November and not a month later, THAT'S cold. I wonder if you bought the same blanket I did last year (Packer fleece from the Prop Shop, packed in a plastic zip bag.) I thought I had dressed warmly enough (you'd think I'd know better), but it was a good excuse for me to pick up a souvenir. When you have a chance, we'd love to hear a longer Trip Report.

Get answers to your questions about Green Bay
Recent Conversations