We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route from Eau Claire, Wisc

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
206 reviews
Best Route from Eau Claire, Wisc

What would be the best and fastest route to get from Eau Claire, Wisc to Fond Du Lac

Looking at the maps

Seems combination of i-94 i 90 and i 22 is best option

or would taking I 94 then i 20 straight across be better? need to get to Lake Side Park

so recommendations thanks

8 replies to this topic
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
37 reviews
1. Re: Best Route from Eau Claire, Wisc

I haven't had reason to drive this way in a while, so I had to take a look at Google maps. If you want major highways, and the relative speed of that, I believe you'd want to take I-94 from Eau Claire - possibly all the way to Madison - and then US-151 up to Fond du Lac. Alternatively, Eau Claire to Mauston on I-94 and then across to Fond du Lac on WI-23.

And hope you enjoy your time in my home town. :-)

Edited: 07 August 2014, 03:48
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: Best Route from Eau Claire, Wisc

One additional resource - road work in the state: dot.wi.gov/travel/road/workzones-nc.htm

Looks like you may want to avoid the highway 23 option, depending on your travel dates.

WI
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
3. Re: Best Route from Eau Claire, Wisc

normally would go I-94 to Mauston and do Hwy. 23 there is a bit of a detour if you don't want anything to do with a detour then certainly avoid it. There's easy ways around it but yes it's still a detour so it's up to you. I do like/enjoy this route but it's certainly not the only one.

The other option is to go 10 over from the Osseo exit off I-94 and go across then down it only adds 11 miles but comes out the lesser time. I've done some of Hwy. 10 route.

Or go I-94 and by Portage take the 22/33 over to 151 route. I like 22/33 and have used it to get to West Bend area. I enjoy quieter roads that aren't freeways. Really all three routes are total within four minutes of travel time of each other.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
206 reviews
4. Re: Best Route from Eau Claire, Wisc

The Hwy on 23 of the detour, how bad is it? where is construction located? and how far off route would i need to go? if i did the detour, what road should i take? i will have a GPS with me

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
206 reviews
5. Re: Best Route from Eau Claire, Wisc

I am thinking I will take hwy 10 from i 94 and follow it all the way down to end,

WI
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
6. Re: Best Route from Eau Claire, Wisc

it won't let me copy the detour directions as they're capital letters. In a pc world that equates to yelling so it won't let me paste that here. Hwy. 49 at Cty. Trunk A and it takes another road, just view the link. The detour only goes till next week (15th) according to the site's current info.

Locals know a different way too around and through.

Also the detour states till 8/15. I don't know when your travel plans are. If they are after the detour may be done/over anyhow.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
206 reviews
7. Re: Best Route from Eau Claire, Wisc

I be heading on the 16th

WI
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
8. Re: Best Route from Eau Claire, Wisc

I would just doublecheck the site before you leave to check for any updates/delays and either go with plan A or B. All three routes are very close timewise so any would be good. Happy travels to you.

Reply to: Best Route from Eau Claire, Wisc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fond du Lac
Recent Conversations