We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else troubled by swimmer's itch after swimming?

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
471 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone else troubled by swimmer's itch after swimming?

My daughter and everyone she traveled with came home with large, mosquito bite-sized itchy bumps over most of her body after two days of swimming off the Osthoff's beach last weekend. There were over a thousand swimmers in the triathalon who also swm in this lake and I wondered if there is a problem with the water or perhaps bedbuds in the property they rented!

6 replies to this topic
Plymouth
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone else troubled by swimmer's itch after swimming?

Yes know of several people who are complaining of the same type of symptoms after swimming at Fireman's Park/Beach this past weekend. I believe we're all suffering from swimmer's itch. Will be calling the village tomorrow to alert them.

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
471 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone else troubled by swimmer's itch after swimming?

How unfortunate for all of those atletes! But I gather this is a problem for swimmers in the Midwest, especially in shallow lakes.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone else troubled by swimmer's itch after swimming?

FYI-- Elkhart Lake is spring-fed and the fourth-deepest lake in Wisconsin, 120 feet at its deepest point.

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
471 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone else troubled by swimmer's itch after swimming?

My daughter specifically mentioned how shallow the lake was at the hotel's beach where she swam. Perhaps there are more snails in the shallow areas.

"Swimmer's itch, also called cercarial dermatitis, appears as a skin rash caused by an allergic reaction to certain microscopic parasites that infect some birds and mammals. These parasites are released from infected snails into fresh and salt water (such as lakes, ponds, and oceans). While the parasite's preferred host is the specific bird or mammal, if the parasite comes into contact with a swimmer, it burrows into the skin causing an allergic reaction and rash. Swimmer's itch is found throughout the world and is more frequent during summer months.

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone else troubled by swimmer's itch after swimming?

We go boating in Elkhart Lake and there has never been an incident of what you have described. One person did get itchy and always does but no bumps. Not sure if certain people are more sensitive. It may have to do with the warmer temperatures and the shallow water making it a perfect breeding ground. Bedbugs? Anything is possible they do seems to be everywhere these days. Check out bedbugregistry.com for future reference. I ran a check on these three hotels and there were no reports of bedbugs.

The Osthoff Resort

101 Osthoff Ave Elkhart Lake, WI

Siebkens Resort

284 S Lake St Elkhart Lake, WI

Victorian Village Resort

276 Victorian Village Dr Elkhart Lake, WI

Edited: 18 September 2012, 21:59
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone else troubled by swimmer's itch after swimming?

Haven't been swimming in Elkhart for years, but I have seen articles about Swimmers Itch, never had it when we were swimming there. Oops, sorry didn't see how old this post is, but maybe it will alert others to inland lakes during summer swimming.

Reply to: Anyone else troubled by swimmer's itch after swimming?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Elkhart Lake