We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Door County Restaurants

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Topic
Door County Restaurants

We're staying at a B&B in Sister Bay in early June and are looking for restaurant recommendations. We were in Door County once before and tried a supper club for the first time. It turned out not to be our thing. Any recommendations for lunch or dinner? An "upscale" restaurant or two would be nice. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Sister Bay
Sister Bay
Door County, WI
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Chives Door County
₹₹₹₹, American
Harbor Fish Market & Grille
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Steakhouse, Seafood
Coyote Roadhouse
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, American, Bar, Pub
Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Door County Restaurants

Dear Hit the Streets:

I go up to DC every weekend to fish and I am in the process of moving up to what I call God's Country due to having a job where I work out of my home office. The beauty of DC as a whole is that one can fish, golf, hunt (fall), and enjoy a fine dining and theatre experience. Also do a winery crawl since there are 3 great wineries there.

I noticed you are from Chicago, I grew up in Hyde Park (Go Sox!), and what are your favorite restaurants? Listed below are my reccomendations for a truly great dining experience.

1. Donny's Glidden Lodge - Glidden Road Sturgeon Bay. This is a wonderful restaurant with incredible steaks and Prime Rib which is served on Saturday. The food is well prepred and presented. The restaurant is a gorgeous log structure overlooking Lake Michigan. If you like Chicago Chop House (on Ontario) this is an excellent choice.

2. Gordon Lodge - Hwy Q Bailey's Harbor This is a truly upscale dining experience. Their dining room is top notch, with excellent seafood ( get the whitefish, caught locally. This is a throwback to the 1950s, and you could picture Sinatra having dinner here or enjoying a drink at the Top Deck Lounge. A perfect ending to the day is dinner here and drinks and dacing at the Top Deck. Think Pump Room but without the celeb pictures.

3. I know you were not impressed with the supper club you were at on your last visit, Which one was it? There are many great supper clubs here which are true Wisconsin institutions. I enjoy Mr G's in Jacksonport, Nightengale in Sturgeon Bay, Mink River Basin in Ellison Bay and finally the C&C in Fish Creek.

Hope this helps.

AlbeaV

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Donny's Glidden Lodge
Donny's Glidden Lodge
687 Reviews
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Sturgeon Bay
Sturgeon Bay
Door County, WI
Gordon Lodge
Gordon Lodge
242 Reviews
Baileys Harbor, WI
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Fish Creek
Fish Creek
Door County, WI
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Door County Restaurants

If you're looking for something upscale, I recommend either the Inn at Kristofers in Sister Bay or T Ashwells in Ellison Bay. While they are a bit pricier than your average supper club, both are well worth a visit.

I see where someone else recommended Glidden Lodge or Mr. G's. While both are nice places, they are a bit of a hike from Sister Bay.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Sister Bay
Sister Bay
Door County, WI
Fish Creek
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Door County Restaurants

The Waterfront just opened at the beginning of last summer in Sister Bay and has recieved good reviews. The Mission Grille is another excellent choice in Siste Bay. I would also recommed T Ashwells and The Inn at Khrstophers.

Mentioned in this post
Sister Bay
Sister Bay
Door County, WI
Fish Creek
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Door County Restaurants

The Waterfront just opened at the beginning of last summer in Sister Bay and has recieved good reviews. The Mission Grille is another excellent choice in Siste Bay. I would also recommed T Ashwells and The Inn at Khrstophers.

Mentioned in this post
Sister Bay
Sister Bay
Door County, WI
Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
91 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Door County Restaurants

A lot of good upscale restuarants have been listed above, but let me add Trio (nearly upscale) in Egg Harbor. The food reminds me of Chicago restaurants. Not at all like a supper club. No one mentioned The English Inn, either. We've had some good food here, too.

We also love White Gull Inn for breakfast or early lunch (get the coffee cake if you like the friut of the day.)I know it's very touristy, but a visit to DC would never be complete without swedish pancakes from Al Johnson's. You can eat here all day long.

We don't really care for the fish boils, but it is fun to sit outside with a drink and watch the boil over. The patio in back of White Gull is our pick.

For ice cream, Wilsons in Ephraim or the custard shop in Fish Creek. I can't think of the name but it's on hwy 42 lower than street level.

Mentioned in this post
Egg Harbor
Egg Harbor
Door County, WI
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
White Gull Inn
White Gull Inn
166 Reviews
Fish Creek, WI
Ephraim
Ephraim
Door County, WI
Fish Creek
Fish Creek
Door County, WI
Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Door County Restaurants

Thank you all for the recommendations! I appreciate it. I'll be making reservations at a lot of your suggestions, since we're staying for several days.

Sun Prairie
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Door County Restaurants

I am just curious where you ended up eating dinner while in DC? My finace and I are returning there this year for our 2nd time of what we plan to make an annual event. Last year we were greatly disappointed by the Leatham Smith Lodge. The service was horrible and the food wasn't much better. I love Prime Rib and my fiance loves Lobster. Just wondering if you happened to find any restaurants that you would reccommend?

Thank you!

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
635 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Door County Restaurants

Alexanders is sister Bay is upscale, good food but not a supper club. Great sunset views of the water

Mentioned in this post
Sister Bay
Sister Bay
Door County, WI
9. Re: Door County Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 19:48
Get answers to your questions about Baileys Harbor