We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milwaukee to Baileys Harbor

ARIZONA
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Milwaukee to Baileys Harbor

We are flying into Milwaukee Airport for a 4-day visit to Baileys Harbor. Car rental rates are out of sight. Any suggestions for alternative transportation?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Baileys Harbor
Baileys Harbor
Door County, WI
chicago area
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Milwaukee to Baileys Harbor

If you are visiting someone who has a car can they pick you up? If not this is a tough one since you really must have a car to get around in Door County. The only thing I can think of is checking Priceline, Orbitz etc. for a lower rate on your car. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
955 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milwaukee to Baileys Harbor

All I could find is the Greyhound to Green Bay at ~$40 RT, and then a cab or shuttle to Bailey's Harbor. I agree, though, that it's not easy being in Door County without a car.

Have you tried renting one off-site in Milwaukee, away from the airport? That may help.

This is one time that you may want to pay the high fees for the joy of having a car at your disposal. It's the same everywhere these days. If we didn't rent our car in Phoenix 10 months ahead of time, our rate would have been triple what we paid!

Welcome to the Great Recession.......

Mentioned in this post
Green Bay
Green Bay
Wisconsin
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milwaukee to Baileys Harbor

Also, is the car rental rates out of Milwaukee that are high, or have you checked starting your rental someplace like Green Bay or Appleton? Jefferson Lines (and other services) can get you from MKE to Green Bay or other cities in the region, and from there, your drive to Baileys Harbor will be shorter.

Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Green Bay
Green Bay
Wisconsin
Appleton
Appleton
Wisconsin
Baileys Harbor
Baileys Harbor
Door County, WI
ARIZONA
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milwaukee to Baileys Harbor

Thank you all for the advice. I shall check into your suggestions.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,514 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milwaukee to Baileys Harbor

I think you'll really want a car for Door County. The area is rather compact, but each community has a different feel also it's bay vs lake for a major difference. Any less you're convinced you're just going to stay at your lodging, I'm sure you'll want to explore the Door. When we rent cars, we take taxis from the airports to get the cheaper rates. There can be a tremendous difference.

Mentioned in this post
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milwaukee to Baileys Harbor

we reserved with Budget for a car rental (in CO for a recent trip). For a mid-sized we were looking at around $550 and had it reserved but without credit card. We were able to check closer to our leave date and see it dropped $175 and then another week later down another $70 coming to $310ish so in the end checking back, canceling reservations and reserving again for the cheap rate goit it down to reasonable.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milwaukee to Baileys Harbor

There is no form of public transportation on the Door Peninsula. If you're going to be up there for four days, and you're not camping, visiting family or someone who is going to lend you the use of their car, you must rent a car. You won't be able to get around -- or enjoy all that Door County has to offer -- without one.

Good luck, and I hope you can find a good deal on a rental.

Mentioned in this post
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
8. Re: Milwaukee to Baileys Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Baileys Harbor