We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Bailey's Harbor

Minnesota City...
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Bailey's Harbor

Six women are making a trip to Door County the weekend of October 4 - 7. We have reservations at the guest house at Bailey's Harbor Ridges Resort. Any thoughts on that choice?

Would also appreciate any restaurant recommendations. We're considering a fish boil . . . good idea or no. If so . . . where do you recommend?

Also interested in live entertainment in the evenings . . . something 50-somethings would enjoy :)

Mentioned in this post
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Baileys Harbor Ridges Resort
Baileys Harbor Ridges...
51 Reviews
Baileys Harbor, WI
Chives Door County
₹₹₹₹, American
Harbor Fish Market & Grille
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Steakhouse, Seafood
Coyote Roadhouse
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, American, Bar, Pub
Minnesota City...
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Bailey's Harbor

LOL . . . I guess I'll answer my own questions :) I normally frequent the Las Vegas forum . . . a much busier one than Baileys Harbor ;) We do trip reports over there . . . so I'll post one here:

We had a fabulous time in Door County. The Cedar View House at the Ridges Resort was perfect for six women traveling together. We each had our own bed. There were two bathrooms and plenty of space in the living room and kitchen for gathering and comraderie. It was set off far enough from neighboring guests that we heard NO ONE . . . and we hope they didn't hear our outbursts of laughter throughout the weekend.

That said, the guest house is certainly not fancy. The decorating was dated. It was acceptably clean, but we did find cob webs in the corners and stairway (not unusual in an older home located in a wooded area).

We had tasty breakfasts at Al Johnson's (also enjoyed watching the goats on the roof :) in Sister Bay and the Sandpiper Restaurant in Baileys Harbor. Both were extremely busy . . . get there early. Had a blast at the fish boil (also at the Sandpiper) . . . great meal and fun experience. We also enjoyed our meal at the Cornerstone Pub in Baileys Harbor (recommended by a local).

We enjoyed the trolley ride that originates at the Orchard Winery (Fish Creek) and, for the most part, travels through Peninsula Park. Yes, we could have done the drive ourselves, but "Bob" the tour guide shared a wealth of local and historical information.

We also enjoyed our shopping and tasting time at the Orchard Winery and a tour of and tasting at Door Peninsula Winery at Carlsville.

We agreed we'd made a wise decision to make this trip without our husbands. All the shopping we did would have bored them silly!

Mentioned in this post
Baileys Harbor
Baileys Harbor
Door County, WI
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Baileys Harbor Ridges...
51 Reviews
Baileys Harbor, WI
Sister Bay
Sister Bay
Door County, WI
Fish Creek
Fish Creek
Door County, WI
Door Peninsula Winery
Door Peninsula Winery
428 Reviews
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
530 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Bailey's Harbor

Glad you had fun! Sorry no one answered you, Door County usually gets many responses.

Thanks for the info/trip report anyways, it will help someone else.

Mentioned in this post
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Illinois
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Bailey's Harbor

I did not get into forum until after a trip to Door County! We were there just before you got there! Just 2 of us 50 something ladies. We stayed in Bailey's Harbor 3 nights at Beachfront Inn...old place..owner's trying to bring up to date. Room small and too much furniture but this place was made for double, not queen or king. Was clean and redecorated. We loved breakfast at The Sandpiper and also wne to Cornertone Pub, both good food and service. Sandpiper gift shop prices beat prices at other places for same products by $1 or $2. We had John for our trolley tour, a native of Sister Bay and he was knowledgeable and very fun! Also spent 2 nights in Egg Harbor at Lighthouse Inn B&B. This place is best for "couples" but we enjoyed out stay and were happy for the experience of a B&B. this place was built new especially to be a B&B and is decorated in total lighthouse, building looks like a lighthouse complete with light on at night! Breakfasts were fabulous! Innkeepers Claire (cooking in kitchen) and husband Frank (who served us) left their breakfast guests to eat and converse then came in to join us with their coffee and asked about our plans for the day or what we did the day before. They offered tips and suggestions and pointed out good places to go.

It was our first visit to Door Co and our only suggestion is that you take the Lighthouse Trolley Tour FIRST DAY you are there if you can.

You will get a feel for how it is laid out as well as good information and tips on where to go.

Upon returning I read some guide books I brought home. There was a new ferry launched in May this year (passenger only, no cars) from Menominee MI to Door County. I used to visit that area many years ago so this was of interest to me.

Plan anothe trip to Door in the spring and this time will do the Washington and Rock Island Islands.

Mentioned in this post
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Beachfront Inn
Beachfront Inn
200 Reviews
Baileys Harbor, WI
Sister Bay
Sister Bay
Door County, WI
Egg Harbor
Egg Harbor
Door County, WI
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,884 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Bailey's Harbor

I went to Door County in September and stayed in Baileys Harbor at the Blacksmith Inn which was incredibly charming (see my review here on TripAdvisor). We had a great time. Went to Rock Island, which was great hiking. Went to a Packers game at Lambeau. Had some fabulous frozen custard and cherry pie and other great food all around Door County.

Mentioned in this post
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Baileys Harbor
Baileys Harbor
Door County, WI
Iowa
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Bailey's Harbor

Very nervous about staying at Bailey's Harbor Ridges Resort after reading so many horrible reviews on Trip Advisor. I want a queit get-a-way but want to sleep in a clean room. Have any positives to say which will help my worries?

Mentioned in this post
Baileys Harbor Ridges...
51 Reviews
Baileys Harbor, WI
Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Bailey's Harbor

If this is your first trip to Door County you may wish to consider the bay side of the Peninsula...Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, Ephraim, Sister Bay. Bailey's Harbor is very charming, but very quiet. Shops and entertainment and such are in a much greater abundance on the Bay side.

Mentioned in this post
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Egg Harbor
Egg Harbor
Door County, WI
Fish Creek
Fish Creek
Door County, WI
Ephraim
Ephraim
Door County, WI
Sister Bay
Sister Bay
Door County, WI
Eau Claire...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Bailey's Harbor

Well I hope that the Guest house is better the the Lakeview Suites that we rented in July. We were just above someones garage and they called it a Suite. We were not told this and the pictures on their web site didn't look anything like what we stayed at. It was dirty and towels wee didn't want to use they looked so dirty.the smoke detector wasn't on the wall only wires hanging out. After doing some checking when we got home we read that Ridges Resorts are known as a one time stay becuase of the way they look. Good luck and hope you have a better stay then we did.We foound nothing to do in this town at night. They did have a Fish Boil that was great.

Good Luck,

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Bailey's Harbor

LOL Coffeemug, answering your own question. VF! Recognized you from the Vegas forum so looked at your post. Wisconsin has alot to offer, need to recruit TA's to share their wealth of info. Vegas on the other hand, we're all experts! Guess it was a bad slogan after all, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. The lack of responses on this forum makes me think it should be Wisconsin's slogan! I think everyone's so busy enjoying what the state has to offer they are not sitting on their computers.

Mentioned in this post
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Baileys Harbor...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Bailey's Harbor

Baileys Harbor may be considered the quiet side but there is quite a few things to do there. Ridges Santuary, Toft's Point and several other places to hike and see nature; beaches to enjoy or watch the kiteboarders and windsurfers, great restaurants and shopping, golfing, Kangaroo Lake and a vareity of lodging places depending on what you are looking for.

Yes, it may not have as many shops and condos as the other side, but this side is nice to relax at. There are several night life bars to enjoy too.

10. Re: Staying in Bailey's Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 18:47
Get answers to your questions about Baileys Harbor