We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do on our way to The Greenbriar

GA
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Things to do on our way to The Greenbriar

My husband and I are traveling to The Greenbriar from GA this month. This is our first trip to WV so we were curious is there was anything we must do while there. We really only have a day to explore before heading home.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,759 posts
156 reviews
1. Re: Things to do on our way to The Greenbriar

The cool, small town of Lewisburg, (which was actually voted The Coolest Small Town in American a few years back) is just down the road from the Greenbrier Resort. Lots of shops, galleries, antiques, restaurants, bakeries, etc. Easily spend a long afternoon there. I highly recommend going to Lost World Caverns just on the edge of town. Amazing cave! Self guided tour...takes about 45 minutes or so.

When you get on I-64 to head south, maybe stop in Hinton, another cute little town. A quick stop at the beautiful Sandstone Falls across the river (to the right) then head back on Rt. 20 south. You will pass the large Bluestone Dam and continue on 20 to Pipestem Resort. Maybe a quick climb up the Fire Tower there...amazing views on a clear day. Stay on Rt. 20 and it takes you right to I-77 south. It won't be out of your way, just a little detour to see some of beautiful southern WV.

http://www.downtownlewisburg.com/

http://www.lostworldcaverns.com/

waterfallshiker.com/category/…

stateparks.com/pipestem_state_park_in_west_v…

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
169 reviews
2. Re: Things to do on our way to The Greenbriar

I agree check out Lewisburg. It is the best place for local shops, dining outside of the Greenbrier. BTW the nachos at Draper's are amazing. I always get them when I am in town.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Things to do on our way to The Greenbriar

I agree with the Lewisburg suggestion - if it wasn't Nov there are other things I'd recommend but late fall/winter isn't the right time for them. WV has a lot of fun outdoor activities in that area of WV & nearby Beckley has a coal mine exhibition - it offers a trip underground through a vintage coal mine. But it closes Nov 1.

4. Re: Things to do on our way to The Greenbriar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2017, 04:45
Get answers to your questions about White Sulphur Springs
More White Sulphur Springs Topics