We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tacoma Dome transportation

Sandy, OR
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Tacoma Dome transportation

I will be driving up from Portland to see Garth Brooks Sunday evening at the Tacoma Dome. What would be my best options for leaving town as easy as possible. Would parking elsewhere and taking the light rail be a good option, and if so, where should I park?

6 replies to this topic
A B
Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tacoma Dome transportation

Hahahahaha!

Please, please, please, park at the Dome. There are some garages downtown with limited capacity for parking, but the Tacoma Link stops running at 10 pm on weekdays, 5:48 pm on Sundays. There are buses, but.... good luck with those. Pierce County can't seem to fund a transit levy, so buses are sparse. Parking at the Dome will be exactly what you expect for a massive concert event. I don't think that there are good alternatives elsewhere, though, without a lot of walking, which will probably take longer than the queue to get out of the parking lot.

Sandy, OR
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tacoma Dome transportation

Thanks for the response! After looking at the event details on the Tacoma Dome website, there was a link for transportation on Tacoma Link that showed if would be staying open late for the event. Last depart from the Dome at 11:48. Does that change your suggestion? I'm not one to go to events like this and have to work the next morning, so hoping to get out as easily as I can..... if at all possible. ;-)

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tacoma Dome transportation

i was going to say the Tacoma Link will probably have later runs. I'd go that route.

~ Colleen

A B
Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tacoma Dome transportation

Given that you want to high tail it outta there... I'd probably still suggest parking at the T-Dome. If you said you planned to go for drinks or late night dinner afterwards, I'd say absolutely use the Tacoma Link (light rail) from and to downtown, and park near your restaurant of choice. I just don't think that once you factor in walking, waiting a few minutes for the train, riding the train, and walking to your car, that it will save you time over walking straight to the car and getting in the queue. Remember that the dome is right next to I-5.

If you were coming from Seattle or points north, I'd say absolutely ride the Sounder Commuter rail down (they are doing special runs.)

Sandy, OR
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tacoma Dome transportation

Thank you!! I will take your advice!

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tacoma Dome transportation

As one who grew up in Tacoma and heads down there often to visit my parents, I respectfully disagree with AB. But it may well be six of one, half a dozen of the other. Regardless of what you decide, enjoy the concert! : )

~ Colleen

Reply to: Tacoma Dome transportation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tacoma
Recent Conversations