We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reservations neccessary?

Watertown
Level Contributor
15 posts
33 reviews
reservations neccessary?

we are planning a road trip to Washington in MID to late August. No definite destinations in mind. Thinking Tacoma area and east to Mt Rainier. Can we fly by the seat of our pants and have a chance of finding a motel or would you suggest reservations?

7 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
90 reviews
1. Re: reservations neccessary?

I think you could be just fine without reservations if you don't mind ending up in the area around Seattle Tacoma airport if your first choices aren't available.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
139 reviews
2. Re: reservations neccessary?

If you are planning to spend a night somewhere around Mt. Rainier National Park, I would definitely make advance reservations. However, if you will just be day-tripping from the Tacoma area, you should be OK.

Try to get started to the Park early in the day as the parking lots tend to fill up fast in August.

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
26 posts
3. Re: reservations neccessary?

As the others have stated you should be ok unless you want to stay up right near Mt. Rainier NP. In that case I would book as early as possible. If you have any questions about the Tacoma + Pierce County area don't hesitate to reach out to our Visitor Information Center

1516 Commerce St

Tacoma, WA 98402

253-284-3254

info@traveltacoma.com

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
1 review
4. Re: reservations neccessary?

I don't know if I agree with the others. I've been in Seattle a lot during the summer when EVERYTHING sells out. I mean from Olympia to Everett. Unless you are ok with driving it 2 hours out of your way or paying 400 for one night. It's true that SeaTac hotels are the last to go, but they DO go. If it's a weekday, maybe. If it's a weekend, I definitely would not risk it. When there is high occupancy, they start jacking up their prices.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: reservations neccessary?

We are heading out to the same area around Sept. 6 for two weeks to visit friends and then travel around the area. Will hotel supply be better ? Not worried about staying right in Seattle but going to the Mt. Rainer area and perhaps to Olympic Peninsula.

Edited: 04 April 2017, 01:11
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
1 review
6. Re: reservations neccessary?

You still want reservations for ONP and Rainier then. A lot of people head out at that time specifically because the kids are back in school but weather is still good.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,691 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: reservations neccessary?

Please start your own thread. After the holiday is less crowded in the Parks especially during the week, but still popular. If you do want my help for Olympic post for Olympic I can help you. After the holiday is a great time to visit Olympic NP.

Reply to: reservations neccessary?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tacoma