We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2015 Lavender Festival Questions

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
152 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
2015 Lavender Festival Questions

We're planning on visiting Sequim's 2015 Lavender Festival on Friday July 17, 2015 and very excited! I have some questions for the folks who've been to this festival:

1) what is your favorite or most unusual lavender flavored item? I've read mixed reviews on Yelp regarding the lack of lavender flavored foodstuffs.

2) Can I buy lavender flavored wine there?

3) Any additional hints and tips when going to the Lav Fest?

4) How crowded does this event get? I've heard anywhere from several thousands to tens of thousands.

5) If I am leaving Port Townsend to catch a ferry to Coupeville away from the Lavender Festival on a Saturday morning, would it be super crazy and crowded?

I've been combing through every ferry forum post I could find on the Ferry system and it strongly recommends reservations. I think I'll do that but I was just curious to see if the traffic out of Port Townsend on a Saturday morning to Coupeville was better than say, trying to get to Port Townsend. I know the earlier the better but we wanted to eat breakfast before heading out (free hotel breakfast, I know, I am cheap).

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Port Townsend
Port Townsend
Washington
5 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2015 Lavender Festival Questions

First of all, here is the website for the Lavender Festival

www.lavenderfestival.com/festival-info/

1) what is your favorite or most unusual lavender flavored item?

I always really enjoy lavender flavored ice cream. There are quite a few products available at the festival, and I don't think you will be disappointed. In addition to the items for sale at the booths downtown, each lavender farm usually has a store as well.

2) Can I buy lavender flavored wine there?

Never tried, so I don't know on this one.

3) Any additional hints and tips when going to the Lav Fest?

Give yourself extra time. There is an increase in traffic and we have two lane roads. Relax and enjoy. Be sure to take pictures.

4) How crowded does this event get? I've heard anywhere from several thousands to tens of thousands.

I think several thousands is more accurate. Not all of these people are there all day and they are not all in the same location at the same time. There are activities and booths downtown and then there is a "driving tour" of the various lavender farms. You will probably never be in a crowd that big at any one time.

5) I am struggling with understanding what you are asking about here. I think I must be missing some important information... First of all, the ferry from Port Townsend to Coupeville operates on a schedule. You can expect that on summer weekends all ferries will be filled. If you have reservations for a specific time and you show up before boarding, you will be on that ferry. Reservations do not cost anything and can make a world of difference. Here is the link for ferry reservations. If I missed answering what you were asking about the ferry, please ask again with a little clarifying info.

https:/…

I would expect that the normal traffic time between downtown Port Townsend and Sequim would be 50 minutes. I would add an extra 10 minutes for traffic if leaving later in the day.

Mentioned in this post
Port Townsend
Port Townsend
Washington
Sequim
Sequim
Washington
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,309 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2015 Lavender Festival Questions

I like the lavender flavored bratwurst. Friends have spoken highly of the lavender margaritas, but I have never tried one.

You will not be able to drive to the farms. The festival organizers have set up a system of buses to take you around a farm loop. It's a good setup. I think Traveler is right about giving yourself at least an hour to get to PT from Sequim. Although the festival organizers have made changes to avoid the worst traffic congestion coming to into and out of Sequim, you should still give yourself lots of time. I suspect that this year, with low gas prices, turnout will be huge.

Mentioned in this post
Sequim
Sequim
Washington
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
152 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2015 Lavender Festival Questions

Thank you both for your quick replies!

Traveler 11223 thank you for the info on the ferry. I will go ahead and make reservations. I was just wondering if more traffic was coming into the ONP area vs leaving it on a Saturday but it sounds busy either way.

Kaleberg, I've been to your website recently and spent hours there - great information!

Can't wait to try the lavender margaritas!

I am sad I'm going to miss a local Hawaiian playing the ukulele at the Lavender Festival on Saturday - I'll be heading to Anacortes for the Shipwreck Festival.

Thanks again for the tips. Glad to hear the organizers have made changes to alleviate traffic/crowds. I am super excited; never been to a flower festival of any kind before!

Mentioned in this post
Anacortes
Anacortes
Fidalgo Island, WA
port angeles
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2015 Lavender Festival Questions

Most of the previous information is good. While there are lots of people in town and the street fair is crowded. there are a dozen farms and traffic spreads out so it is not a problem. You drive to all of the farms although there are a couple of shuttle buses offered. The only place that fills up with parking is Purple Haze and sometimes Jardin du Soleil. These two farms are the most popular and charge admission. There are lots of free farms as well. The quality of farms varies dramatically so pickup a program and make your choices.

There is not much lavender flavored food except for ice-cream so don't get too excited about that. Olympic Cellars often makes lavender wine and there is some at the street fair, but it is not good wine, lavender or not.

As for the ferry, if you are doing Port Townsend you need a reservation (which is free as was pointed out). It is summer and all the ferries are full anyway so waits of a couple hours are common on all of the routes. But the Port Townsend ferry is small so if you miss your reservation, then that is not fun.

You will have a great time, it is easy to get around. The driving maps are everywhere and there are just a few roads so it is easy to figure out.

Mentioned in this post
Jardin du Soleil
Jardin du Soleil
108 Reviews
Sequim, WA
Port Townsend
Port Townsend
Washington
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
152 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2015 Lavender Festival Questions

Thank you Snageli, that is very good helpful information regarding the lavender farms and the ferry waits. Guess I better go book those reservations now!

Reply to: 2015 Lavender Festival Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequim