We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Sequim during March 7-9 (cycle race)?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
368 reviews
Avoid Sequim during March 7-9 (cycle race)?

We were looking at being in Sequim the night of Marcy 8 and 9, or possibly 7 and 8, to look at real estate, two hotels I checked were sold out on Friday and Saturday nights. Looking for local events that might account for this, I saw the Tour de Dung (sounds like a beetle race) cycle race that Saturday. I found a map of last year's race and it doesn't look like it would close off many roads on Saturday, and none on Sunday. We could easily stay in Port Angeles.

We'd be heading to Seattle on Monday afternoon, to medical appointments at UW the next morning.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 21:28
8 replies to this topic
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,722 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Avoid Sequim during March 7-9 (cycle race)?

What is your question?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
368 reviews
2. Re: Avoid Sequim during March 7-9 (cycle race)?

In the subject line. Should we reschedule when to go to Sequim? Will the race events have a big impact on getting around Sequim and, if so, just Saturday, or also Sunday? Found hotel vacancies at the Olympic Lodge in Port Angeles. We've been to the area before, and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Sequim, which is sold out that Friday and Saturday.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 22:14
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,774 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Avoid Sequim during March 7-9 (cycle race)?

Stay in Port Angeles. Bike races can be a bit of a nuisance around Sequim, especially if the route clogs up Old Olympic Highway. It would also give you the opportunity to see some of the houses and amenities available there, and you could nip over to Lake Crescent or Salt Creek for a stroll if the weather is fine. Ask your realtor about Freshwater Bay.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
368 reviews
4. Re: Avoid Sequim during March 7-9 (cycle race)?

Thanks. Start/finish of the race is across the street from the headquarters of the Dungeness State Park. I thought the Tour de Dung was just on the 8th, but I also saw references to it being on the 9th. If it's just on Saturday, avoiding Sequim the one day seems easy enough (we'd arrive from Gig Harbor area on Sat.), but if it's on both days, may reschedule. I'll look into Freshwater Bay, but we would want to have access to homes in Sequim, including Sunland North area. The Holiday Inn Express is sold out just on Friday and Sat. nights, not on Sunday, indicating to me that most events would be over on Sat., or at least by mid-day Sun.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,722 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Avoid Sequim during March 7-9 (cycle race)?

I used to own vacation property in Sequim many years ago, so I spent a lot of time there with a realtor. If you are set on Sequim and can find a place there, I would stay in Sequim. Have you checked the Sequim Bay Lodge. I have never stayed there, but I like the location and had dinner there once years ago.Looks like they have rooms and are reasonable.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
250 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: Avoid Sequim during March 7-9 (cycle race)?

Bike racing is usually not a problem for traffic. They will travel as a pack with lead and follow cars. This is not the same as a big charity ride with rides of all speeds.

Btw, we enjoy living in port townsend. Moved there 2 years ago after way too many in Houston.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,774 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Avoid Sequim during March 7-9 (cycle race)?

Sunland is lovely. I have friends who live there. Just get the straight story on the golf course finances. If you do stay in Sequim and want a good dinner, look into Alder Wood Bistro.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
368 reviews
8. Re: Avoid Sequim during March 7-9 (cycle race)?

Thanks. I think we'll stay in Port Angeles, and will steer clear (literally) of the race on Saturday, which won't be a problem. Sunday and first half of Monday will be our main days there.

Reply to: Avoid Sequim during March 7-9 (cycle race)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequim