We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Lion Hotel

Prescott AZ
Level Contributor
253 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Red Lion Hotel

Hello.I'm a frequent TA poster. I'll be visiting an ailing, long-time friend in Sequim July 18-20.. Looking for TA input on hotels in or near Sequim, reasonably priced, I know it's their high season, but I was discouraged by rates of $170 to over $200 among both the "chain" hotels and even smaller inns, especially in nearby Port Angeles. I won't name the familiar "big one," but the reservation process was unfriendly. Desk agent booked me for the wrong date (much lower rate) and when I later called about that, management refused to negotiate to make up for the agent's HUGE mistake. I guess good PR wasn't important. Found a few smaller hotels in Sequim, which seem rather bare-bones, and TA posts seem to concur. Still, I'd welcome TA feedback on same. I'll have a car, and I have a tentative reservation at Red Lion Inn, located in PA. Photos look great, but often first-hand info is more reliable.

Mentioned in this post
Sequim
Sequim
Washington
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
8 replies to this topic
Prescott AZ
Level Contributor
253 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Lion Hotel

Sorry, I should have indicated Red Lion Inn and Suites at 1095 E. Washington St. in Sequim. And, while on this issue, is West Washington Port Angeles & East Washington St. Sequim? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Red Lion Inn & Suites- Sequim at Olympic National Park
Red Lion Inn & Suites...
396 Reviews
Sequim, WA
Sequim
Sequim
Washington
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,576 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Lion Hotel

I'm sorry your friend isn't well; I'm sure s/he will appreciate your visit. Don't spend a dime for the Red Lion in Port Angeles. As someone else here recently suggested, leveling it and starting fresh would make for a great project.

(ETA: I see now you're referring to the Red Lion in Sequim. I haven't stayed there or even checked it out, so nothing to add on that score.)

Wish I could offer a great alternative, but the sad reality is that accommodations in that neck of the woods leave something to be desired, and yet are at a premium due to demand in high season. I assume you looked into Olympic Lodge in Port Angeles? Last summer we suffered the less-than-Royal Victorian. Yikes. Would gladly pay much less for the bare bones but acceptable All-View Motel.

~ Colleen

Edited: 03 June 2017, 06:52
Mentioned in this post
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Sequim
Sequim
Washington
Olympic Lodge
Olympic Lodge
2,176 Reviews
Port Angeles, WA
Prescott AZ
Level Contributor
253 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Lion Hotel

Colleen, thank you for clearing up the difference between RedLion PA and Red Lion Sequim. I'm impressed, and encouraged, by Renee's consistent appreciation for feedback, even if "not perfect." This shows a sincere interest in fostering good customer relations, which I value when choosing among lodging options. With that said, I'm leaning toward this property, but would still welcome other posters' first-hand recommendations for this and maybe one or two others.

Mentioned in this post
Sequim
Sequim
Washington
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,489 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Lion Hotel

The Red Lion in Port Angeles is a bad hotel. It's old, tired, run down, and under staffed. Avoid it.

Olympic Lodge is the best of a mediocre lot. At least the rooms are clean, big, and comfortable.

In Sequim, have you tried the Holiday Inn Express? Another choice would the Sequim Bay Lodge. I stayed there years ago when they were a Best Western, and they were great.

Mentioned in this post
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Olympic Lodge
Olympic Lodge
2,176 Reviews
Port Angeles, WA
Sequim
Sequim
Washington
Sequim Bay Lodge
Sequim Bay Lodge
202 Reviews
Sequim, WA
Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Lion Hotel

The Red Lion Inn and Hotel in Sequim is the previous Days Inn. A new owner purchased the property, refranchised and has promised a top to bottom remodel and refurbishment. This remodel has not happened yet. You can expect an older hotel/motel. East Washington, West Washington refers to which side of N. Sequim Avenue the roadway is on. Both are in Sequim..

I have not stayed at this property, but I know people who have done so. They felt it was adequate for their needs. They weren't expecting something fancy, so they were not disappointed.

Mentioned in this post
Sequim
Sequim
Washington
Prescott AZ
Level Contributor
253 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Lion Hotel

Oops! My face is red. My mind is so full of TMI, that when I wrote about Renee (post #3), I should have noted that she is at Sequim's Olympic Inn, not Red Lion. Maybe I should re-name this thread? Still, I'd welcome TA comments for Olympic Inn.

Thank you, kaleberg & traveler 11223. I'm a loyal Hilton guest, so I'm spoiled. However, while my stay in Sequim/Port Angeles calls only for clean, comfortable & affordable, even tho' Olympic Inn is not "fancy," it's the management attitude that makes a difference. As usual, TA posters help a great deal in weighing pros and cons, so I'm open to more info & options.

Mentioned in this post
Sequim
Sequim
Washington
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,718 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red Lion Hotel

Do you mean the Olympic Lodge? If so, it is a great hotel. We have stayed there numerous times and have never had any issues. Our most recent stay was just in March. Our room was very comfortable and very well kept. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We did not have breakfast there as we headed out to go snowshoeing, so we had picked up our own supplies at the Country Aire Market the night before. Our room had a mini fridge as well as a microwave so we were set.

We have stayed at the Red Lion in PA, last summer. Never again!!!!!! I am the one that said it needs to be leveled. We were amazed at how bad it was, and we had read the reviews and tried to give it a chance. Bad call on our part.

Mentioned in this post
Olympic Lodge
Olympic Lodge
2,176 Reviews
Port Angeles, WA
Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Red Lion Hotel

The Original Poster is asking about hotels in Sequim. She actually means the Olympic Inn, which was recently redone and well located. Take the River Road Exit for Sequim and follow the road around to the right. This will put you on Washington Way and you will find your hotel about 4 blocks down the street.

It can be a little confusing with the names sounding so close and the two communities being located next to each other.

Mentioned in this post
Sequim
Sequim
Washington
Reply to: Red Lion Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequim