We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lavender farm visits last week of March, a good idea?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
152 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Lavender farm visits last week of March, a good idea?

Is the last week of March a good time to visit the Sequim lavender farms? Are they under snow? I want to visit week of March 25 - April 1. Thank you!!

Mentioned in this post
Sequim
Sequim
Washington
13 replies to this topic
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lavender farm visits last week of March, a good idea?

No, it's not. There is nothing to see in March. Lavender is a summer bloomer, usually late June through July. It is possible, but very unlikely, that Sequim will have snow the last week in March. We do often get a brief snowfall in the North Olympic Peninsula, but it rarely hits Sequim.

Sequim does have some really nice agritourism in addition to lavender, but March is one of the worst months to visit. It tends to be wet and very windy. If you were coming in May or June, I would suggest visiting some of the dairy, flower, and vegetable farms, or some of the cattle places to see the calves, but March is just too early.

Mentioned in this post
Sequim
Sequim
Washington
Olympic Peninsula
Olympic Peninsula
21 Reviews
Washington
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,209 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lavender farm visits last week of March, a good idea?

They will not be under snow, but they will be far from blooming. Not sure why you would visit them that time of year.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
152 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lavender farm visits last week of March, a good idea?

Kaleberg and Glaciermeadows to the rescue again! Hello. Both of you helped me in 2015 when I was planning my trip to the ONP! I had a superb time visiting the Lavender fields, the Hoh Rain Forest, Ruby Beach, etc.

Kaleberg - thank you SO MUCH. Guess I'll stay away this time. Plus, with the Hwy construction that may make things worse. I tend to forget lavender is a perennial *hits head* - that's the kind of thinking you do when surrounded with greenery all year 'round haha.

Glaciermeadows - I'm actually visiting a friend; thought the fields would be a great distraction but guess its too early.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,623 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lavender farm visits last week of March, a good idea?

LehuaMonsoon--I saw your other posts re Leavenworth and Woodinville. Woodinville has a lavender farm right near the Hollywood wine district, within walking distance. So while they won't be in bloom, it is a nice place to visit. They have a great patio area out back that looks out over the farm, and then a very nice gift shop. If you are visiting the wineries, you might as well take a short walk to the Woodinville Lavender Farm. During March, they are only open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. We are regulars there, lol.

Mentioned in this post
Leavenworth
Leavenworth
Washington
Woodinville
Woodinville
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,342 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lavender farm visits last week of March, a good idea?

Your best flower destination for late March is the Skagit Valley, an hour north of Seattle off I-5.

The valley is a big bulb-producing area and in the spring the daffodils (first) and the tulips (later) make for stunning vistas. If the friend you're visiting is in Sequim or on the Olympic Peninsula, you can take a very scenic route to get there from Seattle - north to the Skagit Valley for daffodil or tulip viewing, across (gorgeous) Deception Pass and down Whidbey Island to the Port Townsend ferry, then on to Sequim from Port Townsend. It's a terrific day's drive.

Daffodils (most likely what you'll see in late March) - http://gardyloo.us/DSC_0077c.JPG

Tulips (taken second week of April so probably not applicable) - http://gardyloo.us/057b.JPG

Deception Pass - http://gardyloo.us/083b.JPG

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Sequim
Sequim
Washington
Olympic Peninsula
Olympic Peninsula
21 Reviews
Washington
Port Townsend
Port Townsend
Washington
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
152 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lavender farm visits last week of March, a good idea?

Mtngrl - you are a mind reader! I actually love to shop and visit the little boutique shops in Wine country, so this sounds like a really nice side trip, even though the lavenders are not blooming. We love wine and shopping for knick knacks, including gourmet foods so this sounds like its right up our alley!

Ibgardyloo - Awesome!! Thanks for the tip on the Daffodils, something that we will definitely do! The photos you took are amazing! I wish we our Spring Break was a little later so we could see the tulips but looks like we may be blessed with Daffodils instead! A really good tip, we will definitely make the trip to Skagit as we love flowers and photography as well. Mahalo!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
152 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lavender farm visits last week of March, a good idea?

Deception pass was amazing...went there in July of 2015 and had a great time. So much beauty all around!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,623 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lavender farm visits last week of March, a good idea?

You might want to visit Molbaks in Woodinville as well. It is a garden center, but with a huge amazing home gift store with a lot of local products as well as a really good little cafe. It is on the way from the Hollywood district to the warehouse wine district.

Mentioned in this post
Woodinville
Woodinville
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,342 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lavender farm visits last week of March, a good idea?

Forgot to mention, another thing to look for in the Skagit Valley are the flocks of migratory snow geese that over-winter by the hundreds of thousands (millions?) in the area. They can be quite a sight if you get lucky - http://gardyloo.us/20100319_56as.JPG

If you like little towns, La Conner, right in the middle of the daffodils/tulips, is a gem.

Mentioned in this post
La Conner
La Conner
Washington
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
152 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lavender farm visits last week of March, a good idea?

Oh my gosh ibgardyloo, thank you for the really great tips! I've put La Conner on my place to visit, for sure! We love small towns, especially if they have some kind of flower or fruit farm and some local arts/craftsmen. We also happen to belong to The Cornell Ornithology Lab and are avid bird watchers, so I am glad you mentioned the snow geese, we won't miss the trip to La Conner, it sounds like our kind of place...thank you!

Mentioned in this post
La Conner
La Conner
Washington
Reply to: Lavender farm visits last week of March, a good idea?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequim